[prog] Re: [Grrltalk] Email addresses and the archives

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Fri Dec 13 13:38:23 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:21:52AM -0600, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> In the mailing list archives, email addresses are displayed without any
> kind of spamblock.  Ought we be concerned about this at all, or is there
> some precaution taken to keep them from being harvested by spammers?

Well, there's *supposed* to be some precaution taken, but for some reason
mailman is ignoring the list settings and I'm not entirely sure why.
There's this and another proposal floating around, but my personal priority
list has had to change a fair bit in the past few months, so I won't be able
to look at the problem and find a safe solution 'till mid-January.

I should note, however, that very few of the linuxchix archives are
completely publically accessible.  Most are subscriber-only archives (and
grrls-only has no archives) so this is only a problem for a few lists, like
techtalk, that we want publically spidered as a resource.

Follow ups please ONLY to grrltalk.

 Terri