[prog] XML/XSLT/perl strangeness

Laurel Fan laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Dec 11 02:29:27 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:08:21AM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Of course, I'm making an assumption that it's this script which is doing
> it; since I can't track what it's doing or what it's connecting to
> (don't know how), yet, it is a coincidence of timing not to be ignored,
> considering that I'm not doing anything else which downloads things at
> the same time as this.

I don't know anything about your specific problem, but you can verify
that the script is connecting somewhere and figure out where it's
connecting to using netstat or lsof.

On linux, netstat -p shows all open connections and the processes they
belong to.

For example, when I run netstat -p, I get (among other stuff):

tcp        0      0 dreadnought.gorgo:50497 sdf.lonestar.org:ssh    ESTABLISHED 22955/ssh

Which indicates that there is a connection from my machine
(dreadnought.gorgo..) to the ssh port of sdf.lonestar.org, and that it
is owned by the process 'ssh' which has a pid of 22955.

You can accomplish the same thing with lsof (LiSt Open Files).  The
line with the same information in lsof is:

ssh       22955 kalana    3u  IPv4    5582686                TCP dreadnought.gorgorg.org:50497->sdf.lonestar.org:ssh (ESTABLISHED)

Maybe finding out where it is connecting to will help you debug.

laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org