[Philly-chix] Photoshop & Amit Gupta

Nicole Noll nicole at webstartwomen.com
Tue Oct 18 02:54:38 UTC 2011

Hi Philly Chix,

We just scheduled a Photoshop for Web Developers class for next week:
http://webstartwomen.com/poster/philly-class-photoshop-oct-26-2011/

Also, our pal Amit Gupta was recently diagnosed with leukemia and will need
a bone marrow transplant. Minorities of all kinds are drastically
underrepresented in the national bone marrow registry--chances of finding a
match for a caucasian person are 8 in 10, Amit's (being of South Asian
descent) are 1 in 20,000.

As you may already be aware, there's been a huge outpouring of support and
action for Amit amongst the tech/startup community. (Amit's Tumblr
post<http://tumblr.amitgupta.com/day/2011/10/06>
, Tony Bacigalupo's Tumblr
post<http://happymonster.co/2011/10/06/lets-help-amit-gupta-defeat-leukemia/>
, Seth Godin's blog
post<http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/10/eliminating-the-impulse-to-stall.html>
, CNN Money<http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/11/technology/amit_gupta_bone_marrow/>
, Ad Age<http://adage.com/article/digitalnext/social-media-save-amit-gupta/230365/>
, NBC Bay Area<http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Amit-Gupta-Needs-Your-Help-131558913.html>,
on Twitter: #4Amit and #ISwabbedForAmit) Susan (WSW co-founder) has been the
lead web developer at Photojojo <http://photojojo.com> for the past 4+
years, so we're highly invested in the cause. That being the case, we're
holding a drive to get folks registered in the national bone marrow
registry. We're holding it in conjunction with BarCamp
Philly<http://2011.barcampphilly.org/>,
taking place on Saturday, October 22nd at Wharton/UPenn. Here's our info for
that: http://webstartwomen.com/poster/we-love-amit/

If you can't come out to the event at Penn, you can register for a free kit
at bethematch.org (takes about 3 minutes). It would also help a lot if you
would just spread the word about Amit and his need for a bone marrow donor,
particularly to any friends/family of South Asian descent.

Thanks a lot and let me know if you have any questions/need additional info!

Nicole

We're looking for instructors!
http://webstartwomen.com/gigs

Our pal Amit seriously needs your help...
http://amitguptaneedsyou.com