[Jobposts] Software Engineer (WordPress / PHP) at ChooseEnergy.com

Michael Owens mowens at chooseenergy.com
Fri Jan 23 02:20:38 UTC 2015

# Software Engineer (WordPress / PHP) at ChooseEnergy.com <http://chooseenergy.com/> #

Job posting also available at https://angel.co/choose-energy/jobs/48471-software-engineer-wordpress-php <https://angel.co/choose-energy/jobs/48471-software-engineer-wordpress-php>

## About The Job ##

Our content experience at ChooseEnergy.com provides resources to empower and educate people about choosing their own energy suppliers.  Combined with our comparison shopping app, we help people save money and gain peace of mind around their energy bills.

As a PHP and WordPress developer on our content experience, you are responsible for the continued development and maintenance of our custom WordPress theme and plugins, optimizing our WP instances, and creating new content templates regularly in coordination with our Marketing team. Additionally, you work with other engineers to develop an API library to enable third-party integrations with our comparison shopping platform.

### About Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities ###

- Develop and maintain custom WP themes
- Develop content templates for WordPress using HTML and PHP (with some JS and CSS)
- Develop, extend, and maintain custom WordPress plugins
- Develop and maintain PHP libraries for our APIs
- Work to develop HTML, PHP, JS, and CSS best practices
- Work to develop best practices for the building, testing, and releasing of PHP code

### About You ###

- You have a deep understanding of PHP and the ability to ship high-quality, well-tested PHP code. Experience coding and releasing standalone PHP libraries is a plus, but it is not required.
- You love web technologies, especially PHP, HTML, CSS, and JS, and you know how they work intimately.
- You live and breathe WordPress themes and plugins. Experience writing code for other PHP frameworks is a plus, but it is not required.
- You are passionate about user experience, and your level of attention to things that impact UX shows it.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment, working directly with both engineering and non-engineering team members on a daily basis.
- You want to contribute to the WordPress community, whether in the form of releasing plugins, contributing to open-source plugins, or contributing to WordPress Core.

## About Our Product ##

Choose Energy is an online marketplace where shopping for energy is fast and easy. Residents and businesses can compare rates, plan terms, and renewable options from a network of trusted partners in a secure, user-friendly experience. By providing actionable energy intelligence, Choose Energy helps its customers make smart, personalized energy decisions. The easiest analogy is as Kayak and Sabre are to travel, Choose Energy is to energy.

Choose Energy was founded in 2008 by Jerry Dyess and funded in 2012 by Kleiner Perkins to scale and expand Jerry’s original energy-shopping ideas. Over the last 2 years, the team, primarily based in SF, has connected all of the major suppliers to enable shopping in deregulated states and built a platform to allow direct shopping on ChooseEnergy.com as well as third parties to leverage our platform.

Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Dallas and Chicago, Choose Energy is backed by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and industry leaders.

## About Our Team ##

Our small but stellar team of industry experts help us navigate the $240 billion deregulated energy marketplace and with a recent series B round raised from firms like Kleiner Perkins, we're expanding our marketplace nationwide. With a vibrant SoMa office, including our own LED light show, we prove every day that we want to have fun, and aren't willing to sacrifice our sanity along the way to success.

We're looking for self starters who want to be involved in more than just their role; creative solutions in the age of the internet require expertise from more than one field. You have good ideas and you want to share them; you want to be involved in the process from inception to implementation; you want to balance your time between creative thought and focused actualization and - most importantly - you want to work with a team of experts that you can trust.

## How To Apply ##

Send an email to mowens at chooseenergy.com <mailto:mowens at chooseenergy.com> with links to your portfolio, GitHub, LinkedIn, or similar examples of your work and past work experience.

Thanks!

--