[Jobposts] Experienced Ruby Engineer at Loco2.com

Jon Leighton jon at loco2.com
Mon Jan 5 13:02:06 UTC 2015

# Experienced Ruby Engineer at Loco2 #

Also at: https://loco2.com/about/jobs

Loco2 (http://loco2.com/) is an independent online agent for rail
tickets in Europe. Our mission is to make booking a train as simple as
booking a flight. We're the only place where you can buy a ticket from
any UK station to destinations all over Europe.

## About us ##

We're a small team of passionate people. Our technical director is
former Rails core team member Jon Leighton. Meet the rest of the Loco2
family at http://loco2.com/about/team/.

Our customers are at the centre of what we do, and we're proud to have
an average rating of 9.2 out of 10
(https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/loco2.com).

We have an office in Shoreditch, London, but we're more than happy to
hire somebody who wants to work remotely and/or with flexible hours.
Much of our team already works remotely for some or all of the time, so
we have tools in place to facilitate this.

Our software stack consists of a Rails 4.1 application, a PostgreSQL
database and a pure-Ruby backend library which we use to communicate
with the train booking systems.

## About you ##

We're looking for up to 2 new engineers to join the team. An ideal
candidate:

* Has 4+ years of programming experience
* Is comfortable working with Ruby (experience with other languages is
great too)
* Is comfortable designing object oriented software from scratch, not
just implementing CRUD Rails apps; a pragmatist who can see the
trade-offs involved in the different approaches to solving a problem
* Is an independent/critical thinker who strives to discover the root
causes of problems
* Actively considers the future maintainability of the code when
considering how to implement something
* Communicates effectively and doesn't hesitate to ask for help when needed
* Enjoys getting their teeth stuck into complicated problems, as well as
being willing to pitch in on some of the more routine tasks which
inevitably arise
* Is motivated by Loco2's mission

## How to apply ##

Send an email to jobs at loco2.com. Attach a CV if you like, but it's not
required.

Here are a couple of things we'd like to know (but please do tell us
other things we didn't know we wanted to know!):

* What are the most challenging/interesting programming tasks you have
worked on?
* Why do you want to work for Loco2?

We want to receive applications from developers from all walks of life,
so after the initial selection you'll be asked to complete a programming
challenge which will be judged anonymously. Our emphasis is on finding
somebody with provable experience, rather than somebody who is good at
self-marketing.

If you want to ask any questions before applying, please feel free to
email us.

Deadline: Friday 16th January 2015, but we'll extend it if we haven't
found the right person