[Jobposts] Senior Linux System Administrator/Engineer in Seattle

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sun Dec 7 17:15:53 UTC 2014

I work for the Seattle Times and we are looking for a third member for my
team.
title:   Senior Linux System Administrator/Engineer    (all of us are peers
on team)
location:  Seattle, WA, USA.

Must haves:
  Willing to share in 24/7 support
  Experience building, patching, configuring, troubleshooting RedHat and
Ubuntu servers.
  Scripting experience in shell script (bash, sh), and either Perl or
Python.
  DNS maintenance experience.
  Experience with Nagios or other monitoring systems.
  Experience with Vmware Vsphere Client, ESXi hosts.
  Experience with Active Directory authentication or LDAP, Kerberos, Samba.
  Experience with (any) Backup System.
  Great communication skills, including:
      Documentation of procedures
      Email communications - clear and concise;  with good follow-through.
      Technical  communication to both technical and nontechnical
recipients.
   Great familiarity with the City of Seattle and the surrounding area (live
here now or lived here for many years previously).

Nice to have (at least 3 of these)
  Experience with WordPress
  Experience with UCS
  Experience with NetApp
  Experience with HA clusters
  Experience with Puppet, Chef, or Salt (state maintaining systems)
  Experience with Digital Asset Management systems
  Experience creating any of the following:  repository server, DNS server,
FTP server.
  Experience with Git
  Ability to access the technical needs of an upgrade or new systems project
  DR planning
  Database administration

What we do:
   Keep the servers running:  respond to alerts and tickets, upgrade
systems, patch systems, create new custom solutions, document procedures.
Support the developers.  Support the newsroom.
   Work in a small sharp peer-team; coordinate our team efforts and
schedules, take ownership of projects, share our knowledge and experience
with team; work with and encourage a diverse environment.

Questions and resumes can be sent directly to
itjob at seattletimes.com     Once this position is filled, this email address
disappears.