[Jobposts] Fwd: Advertising our position

Jen Mankoff jmankoff at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 26 11:29:19 UTC 2013

The Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University is
pleased to announce a tenure-track faculty opening.  The effective date of
appointment is August 2014, and salary is dependent on rank and
qualifications.  The HCII prides itself on its record of innovative
development and understanding of technology to better the condition of
individuals and society. We seek candidates with an outstanding track
record in research, strong academic credentials, a history of or interest
in interdisciplinary research and a terminal graduate degree appropriate to
their discipline. We expect to hire at the assistant professor level, but
will consider more senior candidates as well.

We are particularly targeting candidates in the following two areas:

*…a social / behavioral scientist *with deep disciplinary expertise in one
or more of the following: cognitive science, social psychology, learning
science, ethnography, anthropology, linguistics, or cultural studies.  The
candidate's research should emphasize the study of how people behave
socially and cognitively in interaction with technology. Candidates should
be prepared to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in qualitative
and/or quantitative research methods.

*… a design researcher *with disciplinary expertise in areas related to
HCI; for example interaction design, product design, or service design. The
candidate's research should explore design in the context of HCI; and may
include for example theoretical contributions, empirical studies,
ethnographic analyses, and a practice of artifact making. Candidates should
be prepared to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in interaction
design, visual design or product design.

*The application process:*

Applications must be in PDF format and include (1) curriculum vitae, (2)
research and teaching interest statements, (3) a portfolio and/or 1-3
representative papers, and (4) the names and email addresses of three or
more individuals who have been asked to provide letters of reference.
Applications and references should be submitted at:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~scsdean/HiringPage/. Applications should indicate
citizenship and, for non-US citizens, current visa status.

The HCII will begin review applications on as we receive them; however the
final deadline to receive materials is December 1st.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at
hcii-faculty-search at cs.cmu.edu

Carnegie Mellon University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages
applications from women, minorities, and other under-represented groups.
CMU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples and is dedicated to
work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies.