[Jobposts] Operations Engineer

Lina Spevak lina at conviva.com
Wed Feb 13 05:03:30 UTC 2013

Conviva
For the past two decades visual media has evolved at an exponential rate and has provided an equal increase in both problems and opportunity. Conviva is the leading provider of video streaming solutions for enterprises. Our platform delivers more streams than Hulu, Vevo, Netflix, Yahoo and Microsoft sites combined.  The team is comprised of leading industry experts that created the architecture and business model for the future of on-line video business.  We provide vital in-depth statistical information on every single viewer to our clientele, which clearly defines the roadmap of trending audience preferences, and guides on-line business decisions with accurate, deep, real-time insight.  At Conviva, providing reliable/accessible high-definition video and scalable real-time big data optimization with precise control over every single viewer is both our business and our passion.

Conviva is looking for world-class operations engineers to join the Technical Operations  team to ensure high availability, scalability and ease of depolyment for Conviva’s 24x7 SaaS Platform.

1. Senior Operations Engineer – Big Data and Tools

We are looking for a big-data infrastructure guru to join the Technical Operations team. We are pushing the envelope with MySQL, Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Spark, and other data crunching frameworks. Do you find yourself thinking that’s ‘only’ a few hundred terabytes of data? Can you whip up tools on the fly to manage large clusters of servers? Then this is the role for you!

Responsibilities
•       Manage multiple production MySQL, Hadoop, HBase, Hive, and Spark clusters with storage north of 1 PetaByte of data
•       Work closely with developers to understand data needs and help define next generation data architectures
•       Build processes and tools to aid transparent global production releases, automating deployment processes as much as possible
•       Work as part of a team to meet and exceed customer SLAs on our 24x7 SaaS platform
•      Manage and improve our centralized configuration management system

Qualifications and Experience

•       Production experience managing large scale SQL and NoSQL data clusters

•       Expert level knowledge of Linux and server hardware’s impact on application performance

•       Programming experience with at least two of Python, Perl, Java, or Shell

•       Experience with Hybrid and Cloud architectures

•       Experience with automated deploymnet tools like Puppet/Chef/CFEngine or similar tools, or the ability and inclination to whip one up working closely with developers

•       Bachelors degree in computer science, computer engineering, related field or equivalent experience

•       Ability to participate in regular on-call rotation

•       Good communications and interpersonal skills and ability to work across multiple teams

•       Self-motivated, proactive, responsible, and flexible

2. Senior Operations Engineer – Networking and Infrastructure

We are looking for a motivated, flexible Senior Operations Engineer focused on networking and infrastructure components to join the Technical Operations team. If working with the largest online video providers around the globe to help deliver a world class viewing experience to all users all the time sounds interesting and if you can decipher and explain iBGP vs. eBGP, OSPF vs IS-IS, and local prefs vs. route maps, we want to talk to you!

Responsibilities
•       Manage Conviva’s global routing infrastructure

•       Coordinate and collaborate with internal departments to identify and resolve infrastructure, deployment, and networking issues
•       Design next generation network architectures to scale, while optimizing the existing infrastructure
•       Work as part of a team to meet and exceed customer SLAs on our 24x7 SaaS platform

Qualifications and Experience

•       Experience managing network infrastructure for a global SaaS, PaaS, or similar provider

•       Expert level skills of everything up to Layer 3 and at least two routing protocols

•       Strong familiarity with DNS, SSL/TLS, and HTTP

•       Extensive experience dealing with network equipment including load balancers from multiple tier 1 suppliers

•       Strong comfort level with Linux server systems and scripting/automation

•       Solid understanding of Server hardware

•       Bachelors degree in computer science, computer engineering, related field or equivalent experience

•       Ability to participate in regular on-call rotation

•       Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work across multiple teams

•       Self-motivated, proactive, responsible, and flexible