[Jobposts] Job Opening - MySQL DBA

Tom Thompson tomt at seanet.com
Sat Oct 29 17:30:35 UTC 2011

About OpenMarket

Here at OpenMarket, we operate the largest, most reliable mobile transaction
hub in the US and UK, and focus on meeting our customers' mobile business
needs with a comprehensive set of messaging, payment and emerging mobile
services. From the largest consumer brands to the smallest new digital
content ventures, OpenMarket empowers businesses to expand their marketing
initiatives and strengthen customer relationships by leveraging the mobile
channel and providing the most direct mobile operator connections in the US
market today.

Our Workplace

We realize any company's success is based on the excellence, determination
and competence of our people. Our only competitive advantage is the quality
of our employees and the processes that we wrap around them. We aspire to
create an environment where we all can achieve our full potential and
deliver maximum value.

MySQL Database Administrator

This position will also have on-going responsibility to participate in the
design, engineering, and implementation of solutions that streamline
production and team development environments. This includes but is not
limited to: database engineering/administration, schema review, and
physical/ virtual server provisioning and support. The candidate must be
familiar with contemporary database architecture, engineering and
administration best practices, and commonly associated web technologies.

Major Responsibilities

.         Design, implement, and operate MySQL database systems for
performance, reliability, and scalability.

.         Plan and execute scheduled maintenance.

.         Plan and execute software, platform, content, and configuration
upgrades.

.         Perform daily MySQL database administration duties.

.         Provide end user support for core services.

.         Execute level-2 and level-3 on-call duties.

.         Development and operation of tools and systems to monitor and
report on system performance and utilization of MySQL database systems.

.         Extemporized analysis of client, server, and infrastructure
performance.

.         Develop tools to assist in the execution of Operations tasks.

.         Develop long-term data archiving solutions.

.         Research new ways of using MySQL databases in applications or
using databases in innovative solutions. Including the evaluation and
implementation of NoSQL systems.

.         Interact with software engineers and data modelers to ensure the
overall application design is optimal, which would involve performance data
modeling, schema design, and query reviews.

.         Design, architect, and build highly available MySQL databases
after determining business requirements in order to create logical models,
building physical models, and plan system architecture.

Essential Skills/Qualifications

.         BS/MS degree in Computer Science or proven equivalent MySQL
database engineering experience in large, mission-critical production
environments.

.         3-5 years experience supporting many MySQL database instances for
a fast-paced development environment.

.         Strong understanding of MySQL database architecture concepts,
storage engine internals, maintenance, hands-on experience, replication,
etc.

.         Proficient working with UNIX/Linux platform with concrete
knowledge of system/administration internals.

.         Proficiency with one or more scripting languages to automate
database administration tasks.

.         Working knowledge of TCP/IP and computer networking.

.         Experience with patch management and image deployment.

.         Understanding of service delivery concepts (SLA's, monitoring,
on-call, escalation and handoff procedures).

.         Ability to work closely with development teams.

.         Experience with OpenNMS preferred.

Desired Skills

Advanced working knowledge Unix operating systems.

Experience with NoSQL servers such as MongoDB strongly desired.

Experience with web application development and hosting (Apache, HTML, PHP,
JSP)

Experience with data analysis (reporting via SQL, visualization with Excel)

Experience with monitoring software.

Please apply directly at this link:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=OPENMARKET
<http://tbe.taleo.net/NA12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=OPENMARKET&cws=1&