[Jobposts] The Wikipedia Usability Initiative is still hiring.

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Thu May 14 21:52:13 UTC 2009

The Wikipedia Usability Initiative has extended the application deadline
for the Software Developer position till May 30th. We are recruiting two
candidates for this position. Both local applicants to the San Francisco
Bay Area and remote applicants are encouraged to apply. Please help
spread the word.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Software_Developer_(project)

Naoko Komura

Program Manager
Wikipedia Usability Initiative
Wikimedia Foundation

--

Job Title
Software Developer

Employment Duration
June 1, 2009 to April 16, 2010

About the Wikipedia Usability Initiative
The Wikipedia Usability Initiative was realized by a grant from the
U.S.-based Stanton Foundation. The goal of this initiative is to
measurably increase the usability of Wikipedia for new contributors by
improving the underlying software on the basis of user behavioral
studies, thereby reducing barriers to public participation. This
position is part of the program team for the initiative.

For more information, please see the press release.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikipedia_to_become_more_user-friendly_for_new_volunteer_writers

Job Purpose
The core responsibility of this position is to design, develop, test and
deploy new features and improvements of the MediaWiki software for the
the Wikipedia usability initiative by working closely with the
interaction designer and peer developers of MediaWiki.

Reports to Program Manager

Job Summary
*Propose software design solutions and obtain consensus from senior and
peer tech teams
*Create implementation prototypes based on design concepts
*Develop, test, and deploy new features and improvements to the
MediaWiki core and to MediaWiki extensions
*Collaborate in designing and implementing QA processes including
multi-lingual and performance tests
*Work closely with operations staff to ensure proper integration with
testing and production systems

Required Qualifications
*Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience
*5+ years experience as a software developer is required
*Experience with PHP development is required
*Extensive experience with AJAX/HTML/CSS is required
*Experience with cross-browser compatibility testing is required
*Experience with security implications of JavaScript/PHP software is
required
*Experience with LAMP is a major plus
*Experience with testing and analyzing usability and accessibility is a
major plus
*Experience with MediaWiki is a major plus
*An understanding of internationalizing and localizing software products
a major plus
*Any other free/open software development experience highly welcome
*Comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
*Experience with wikis and participatory production environments is a plus
*Understanding of the free culture movement is a plus
*The ideal candidate will be creative, highly motivated, and able to
operate effectively in multiple cultural and language contexts

Salary
The salary is in the range of $75,000 to $85,000 plus benefits,
commensurate with experience.

About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a US-registered 501(c)(3)
tax-deductible non-profit charity dedicated to encouraging the growth,
development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to
providing the full content of wiki-based projects to the public free of
charge. The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest
collaboratively-edited reference projects in the world, including
Wikipedia, one of the world's 10 most visited websites, Wiktionary,
Wikibooks, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikinews and the Wikimedia Commons
media repository. The organization has received numerous honors for its
work, among them the Webby Award, the Prix Ars Electronica Golden Nica,
the Japan Advertisers Association's Web Creation Award and the World
Technology Award in Communications Technology.
The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of
Wikipedia and its sister projects and is based in San Francisco,
California. It currently employs 27 staff members. Wikimedia is
supported by local chapter organizations in 21 countries or regions.

To Apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to jobs at wikimedia.org, before June 1,
2009. Please put the position title (Software Developer) in your subject
line. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be
considered. This position will be filled in June 2009. Due to the volume
of responses that we anticipate we will not reply to all applications,
so please do not interpret our silence as a lack of interest.
Please copy and paste the text of your CV into the e-mail, in addition
to attaching the file.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those
selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position will be filled in June 2009. Due to the volume of
please do not interpret our silence as a lack of interest.

Based in San Francisco, CA., but remote candidates will be considered.

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate