[Jobposts] Linux sysadmin openings in Northern California

Dianne Schoenberg diannes at dbfields.com
Wed May 23 16:41:44 UTC 2007

Sonic.net, California's top-rated independent ISP, currently has
3 openings for junior- and mid-level Linux sysadmins. Located
about an hour and a half north of San Francisco in the beautiful
wine country, Sonic is a great, woman-friendly place to work.
Unfortunately I'm currently the only chick in the operations
department, but would love to have others join me!

Details follow. To apply, submit your resume in plain text format
with no attachments to jobs at sonic.net. Benefits for all positions
include:

* Health Plans
* Dental Plan
* Educational Benefits
* 401(k)
* High Speed Internet Access
* Casual work environment

Dianne

Jr. Linux/UNIX System Administrator

  Administrator to join our team. We maintain a large scale heterogeneous
  environment of Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD systems. There will be quite a
  bit of out of the box thinking, problem resolution and solid methodical
  troubleshooting of various systems, including OS, hardware and or
  network related issues.

Primary Responsibilities:
    * Server tuning, maintenance, trouble-shooting and deployment.
    * Create tools to automate daily tasks.
    * Assist in deployment of new services and features.
    * Support existing infrastructure.

Job Requirements:
    * Experience troubleshooting and maintaining common x86 hardware.
    * Perl, php, C/C++, or shell programming experience.
    * Should be self motivated and willing to learn.

Special Consideration Will Be Given to Candidates with the Following:
    * Hands on Linux/UNIX systems administration experience for Linux and
      BSD variants.
    * Experience supporting 24/7 high availability production services.
    * Knowledge of common protocols like SMTP, POP, IMAP, DNS, FTP and
      HTTP.
    * Experience working at an ISP or ASP.

Linux/UNIX System Administrator

  our team. We maintain a large scale heterogeneous environment of Linux,
  FreeBSD and OpenBSD systems. There will be quite a bit of out of the box
  thinking, problem resolution and solid methodical troubleshooting of
  various systems, including OS, hardware and or network related issues.

Primary Responsibilities:
    * Routine server tuning, maintenance, trouble-shooting and deployment.
    * Deployment of new services and features.
    * Create tools to automate daily tasks.
    * Participate in after-hours on-call rotation.

Job Qualifications:
    * Hands on UNIX systems administration experience for Linux and BSD
      variants.
    * Experience supporting 24/7 high availability production services.
    * In depth knowledge of common protocols like SMTP, POP, IMAP, DNS,
      FTP and HTTP.
    * In depth knowledge troubleshooting common x86 server hardware.
    * Proven programming and/or scripting experience (perl, php, c and
      shell).
    * Experience with network troubleshooting, design, security and
      management a plus.
    * Should be self motivated and able to meet goals with little
      oversight.

Other Requirements:
    * Monday through Friday, 9am - 6pm
    * On-call rotation