[Jobposts] Position in NYC
strangest at comcast.net
Thu May 11 14:32:08 EST 2006
Hi, this is Gloria.
I am De-lurking to post a job opening here.
No one has permission to repost or pass along this job posting.
Here is the description from the CTO:
goal: improve reliability (and later velocity) through PairProgramming with GloriaW.
XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX, Inc., a startup in New York City, seeks an addition
to its small tech team. We make a system designed to help family members
monitor the health of a senior citizen living alone, through an
inexpensive system of motion sensors.
The responsibilities for the position include:
* Writing code in Python and Zope, both for web interface and
back-end batch calculations. SQL
<http://wiki.quietcaresystems.com/SQL> database is central to the
system. Pair-programming will be used extensively.
* Administering servers (accounts, backup, maintenance, networking,
etc.) (servers are hosted at Rackspace, and we have a primary
in-house sysadmin, so there's not much of this)
* Responding to server outage events (keep cell-phone on to get
pages) (mostly as backup to SA?
plus in case a subsystem you "own" has a problem)
* Performing some in-house technical support (as backup to existing
support team, if they're in the field)
* Software development in lean/agile environment. Automated test
* Communication: with technical and non-technical staff; oral and
written (wiki, email).
* Software development collaborative practices: team-based analysis
and design, documentation, source-code tracking, etc.
* Comfortable in start-up environment: ongoing change in plans; lack
of support staff; need for self-management via constant dialogue; etc.
* Bachelors Degree in technical field from accredited university.
* 5+ years of software development.
Here is what I'm going to be looking for during an interview:
Experience with UNIX OS at the 'light' admin level (know how to create a
new rc.d start/stop script. Know cron, etc. Know the run levels, etc.)
Know some form of scripting in sh/ksh/bash, FSF GNU tools, or PERL.
Know OO design & development concepts. Demonstrate a problem you have
solved using these concepts.
If you do not have exposure to all of this, but you have some of it, and
you're a quick study, I will train you as a junior developer. If you
have this exposure, you will be treated as a senior developer. In either
case, we'll be sitting side-by-side, day in and out, and you will learn
everything I know.
Please respond directly to my personal e-mail address:
strangest at comcast.net with a resume and brief cover letter. The salary
is negotiable and very fair. It is NYC after all, so salary is
determined by your experience.
This could be a very suitable job for anyone who wants to come in as a
junior, learn Python, and web framework apps written in and for Python,
This is not a telecommuting or Summer intern position.
Thank you, and good luck,
More information about the Jobposts