[Jobposts] System admin Rutgers University Newark

Jennifer Scalf jscalf at pegasus.rutgers.edu
Sat Dec 23 00:35:45 UTC 2006

There is an opening for a Unix systems programmer in my department at
Rutgers University Newark in New Jersey. We're a small, close-knit group
and we're looking for someone who wants a job where they can really make
a different for students, faculty, and staff at the University.

http://uhr.rutgers.edu/jobpostings/aps/Detail.asp?id=06-001396

A quick summary of the job; You will need to know enough about Postfix,
Amavis-new, POP/IMAP, and the other services listed in the longer
description below, to be able to troubleshoot and fix issues in a timely
manner (like a 4 hour window). And be able to plan for the future of the
systems listed. If you've ever revamped an email server farm (farm could
equal 4 servers if that's all you've done), then you're perfect. So
please apply.

Anyway, here is the official description:

Reports to senior systems programming staff. Provides Unix-related
systems and programming assistance in the Newark Computing Services
Systems group. Is expected to install, maintain, and modify major
elements of Solaris 8 and 9 operating systems and software running on
20+ Sun and OpenBSD multiprocessor systems that serve approximately
15,000 users. Software includes DiskSuite disk mirroring, Jumpstart,
Apache, CGI, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Courier, UW POP/IMAP, Postfix,
Amavisd-new, WebDAV, Samba, and SSH. Also provides secondary system
administration for the Blackboard application and associated Oracle
database; makes detailed recommendations to senior programming staff
regarding systems configurations; and participates in developing
peripheral services required to support computing services including web
tools, documentation, and Unix education programs. Additionally,
completes and maintains system backups in an organized and secure
manner, and monitors the statistics and logs of the storage appliances
to ensure reliable and efficient operations.