[Jobposts] Kernel Module (Melbourne, Australia)

Ricky Buchanan rb at tertius.net.au
Tue Mar 9 01:22:01 EST 2004

G'day,

** Feel free to forward this on to anybody who might be interested! **

I need a programmer who's worked with kernel-programming stuff to
write an input module based on a Linux 2.6.*-style kernel.  The module
will take input from a regularly socketed keyboard of 10-key
"chords" and turn them into letters and keystroke sequences - if
the 10 chosen keys are 0-9, then one chord might be 0+2+6 pressed at
once means the letter "q", for example.

There's some hardware being built to go with this, and it's a
project made necessary by my own disabilities and an utter
refusal to go and use Windows which wouldn't help as much as this
anyway and would cost more considering I'd need a new computer to
run the beast anyway!  Windows XP is unlikely to get along with
my PII!

A pretty-much-finished version of the specifications are
available at http://tertius.net.au/~rb/geek/keyboard/ which
describes the things that need to be done - first a keystroke
logger so I can figure out which keystrokes and key-sequences are
used most often and design the keymap, and then the actual module
itself.

I'm looking to pay a reasonable sum for this, I'm not requesting
charity, but neither am I loaded with money so it won't set you
up with your mansion on the Gold Coast, sorry folks!  Oh, and
once the beast is written, extra cash will be forked out to keep
the module working with the latest kernel version up to whenever
I get too sick to use even that.  So expect a tad of ongoing
income.

I'm knowledgeable with Linux myself, to the point where if this
damm disease wasn't screwing my brain into pieces I'd probably be
able to do the programming myself but I'd rather have it work
right, really :)  Whoever does this, I'll like to have at least
one face-to-face chat with you towards the beginning of the
project, at my place in St Kilda, but after that everything can
probably be done via email and so forth.  If you're really interested
but there's no way you could do the face-to-face bit, give me a go
anyway - I'm not totally set on this part and it *is* basically a
telecommute job.

Anybody whose interest is piqued, drop me an email at
   rb at tertius.net.au
with anything relevant in it and we can see how we go from there.

Regards,
Ricky Buchanan

PS
Especially interested in having a female programmer do this because,
well, I am/was one and I like to encourage everybody every bit I can.
People with disabilities of any kind are also especially encouraged to
apply.  However, non-disabled males are perfectly Ok too.  No
discrimination will be entered into :)

--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.
: rb at tertius.net.au       http://tertius.net.au/~rb/