[IndiChix] [Birthday meetup] Highlights from the old LCI community

SVAKSHA svaksha at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 09:34:18 UTC 2019

Hi Cocoa, Hi All,

We have been around since 2005...wow, that is quite some time ago :-)
but here is TL;DR version:

Archu @ Archana.S.R. from Chennai started LC-IN as a yahoo list and we
moved to this mailman list after about a year or so thanks to yahoo
spam each post with adverts IIRC and our old site was a wiki so that
everyone could participate and contribute. Radha, Ram and Ketan were
looking after the DevOps and the remnants of our old wiki-site is
here: https://github.com/IndiChix

Back then almost all the LUGs were active as "Linux" was still
perceived as hard to use, wasnt easy to install or download on a
dial-up connection so you relied on borrowed CD's to partition and
install it. We were quite a vocal bunch online and a few of us from
Mumbai, Pune (Runa) , Bangalore (me) and Delhi (/me looks at Hassath,
Satabdi) took the initiative to host local meets in our respective
cities and  spoke at conferences (that were alive then). There are a
lot of people an my apologies for not listing out all the names or
missing out any names - its been a long time ago.

Our meets were mostly in collaboration with the local LUGs and
language groups. It was fun to have a local LUG but activities slowed
down as people got busy and there was no new blood forthcoming. This
is true for many popular LUGs so women's groups are no exception and
we returned to the online status soon. IIRC, the last local meet I
organised was a Julia-lang collaboration that Viral wanted to host for
women in 2013. There have been other activities in local chapters and
I hope folks still around will give their perspective. Perhaps Hassath
and Radha would like to add more?  And, please feel free to grab names
and events  from the list archives.

I hope that helps and happy 2019! - SVAKSHA ॥  http://about.me/svaksha  ॥