[IndiChix] [WFS-India] Wikipedia edit-a-thon on 29th March

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:35:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Breakthrough and Women in Free Software and Culture in India are organizing
> a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon to create articles on Women Parliamentarians and
> Women Scientists in India on Wikipedia to highlight the contributions of
> women to events in history and contemporary society.
>
> Through this event we encourage women and transwomen to contribute to
> Wikipedia and increase the quality of articles related to women. This event
> aims at creating new articles, expanding the existing stubs and translating
> English articles to various Indic Languages. It is part of the series of
> month long events going on during Women's History Month.

What criteria (relative academic accomplishments) is being used for
qualifying as a "women scientist"?
Some days ago, I saw some entries for fresh people with a couple of
publications (it was part of an earlier round of editing).
One cannot really go by the few awards (politicized) and such.

If that is the criteria, then I know at least 95 women who would fit
in. If I set the cut off point at 5 years in research, then the number
would be 60 - 72+ (I am not sure ).

If the criteria is 100pp of publication in refereed international
journals or 10 years in research or some high impact work (requires
peer review), then the number would be much less.

ps. I don't want an article on myself as I have enough publicity :)

(I am also posting the same in wikimedia india list)

btw use trans as an adjective: "trans women" as opposed to
"transwomen" and if you feel the need to distinguish between trans and
cis, use the terms. The rationale being "trans as an adjective" is
more inclusive.

Best

A. Mani

A. Mani