[IndiChix] language workshop

Viral Shah viral at mayin.org
Tue Jun 4 01:44:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

Planning this workshop, I just noticed this post and thought I would reply, even though it was posted a while back.

There clearly are classes of problems where users want C-like performance with R-like productivity, or features such as first class user defined types, meta-programming, parallel computing, multiple dispatch, etc. Given that the julia community includes a large number of R users, I would say that R users tend to find adding julia to their arsenal quite appealing.

The fact that Julia has packages such as DataFrames, Rmath (R's math libraries), and Rif (interface to calling R from julia) goes to show that the R community is actually quite interested in making julia a first class environment for statistical computing:

https://github.com/HarlanH/DataFrames.jl
https://github.com/dmbates/Rmath.jl
https://github.com/lgautier/Rif.jl

Blog posts about Julia, written by well-known R developers, were some of the most read posts in 2012. In fact, 3 of the top 7 R blog posts in 2012 are about julia:

http://www.r-statistics.com/2013/01/100-most-read-r-posts-for-2012-stats-from-r-bloggers-big-data-visualization-data-manipulation-and-other-languages/

Julia is a new language and hence does not have as many libraries as languages that have been around, but that gap is filling up fast.

http://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/packages/packagelist/

Thanks,

-viral