[IndiChix] [ilugb] [x-post] [event] [BLR] Polling interest for a Julia language workshop

स्वक्ष svaksha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:00:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to target those who do scientific computing in C or those not
> particularly used to functional programming languages. Most GNU/R
> users will not see anything interesting in Julia.

Not trying to start a language war, but I personally found R
interesting yet frustrating, especially in terms of
dependency/installation issues, which quickly turned my "fun" personal
project into a maintenance nightmare <-- Debugging R code paled in
comparison to remotely troubleshooting dependency hell. YMMV.

A big plus for R (and other languages that are a few decades old) is
the large amount of libraries. Julia is not "production" ready as yet
- its getting there and I assume ver-1.0 would be the target (not
sure). Their users list has people from the MATLAB and R (some,
Fortran) world, including Ruby, Lisp, Perl and Python.

TBH, I'd choose python for any work-related projects but I can live
with an experimental tool for my personal projects -  atm, I'm trying
to model some WHO data.
http://julialang.org/blog/2012/02/why-we-created-julia/, has some
thoughts from its creators.

Best,  Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com