[IndiChix] ITU portal - Women into ICT careers

Shannon.Pritchard at itu.int Shannon.Pritchard at itu.int
Fri Sep 23 13:40:50 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I am writing to you as a senior consultant to the International Telecommunications Union (ITU)  to  inform you about an exciting initiative and to invite your input.  We are assisting the ITU to develop a "Women in ICT" portal which will provide practical information to women and girls seeking to enter or further their ICT careers in order to attract more women into multi-disciplinary ICT careers. Below is a detailed list of information that we are looking for.

We would also like to profile women who are senior professionals, innovators or champions of women professionals in the ICT sector.  If you fit this profile or if  you have suggestions / recommendations we should follow up with please let me know.

I hope you will be able to share this information with your colleagues and networks and I look forward to your earliest response

Many thanks for your time.
Kind regards,
Shannon

The portal, which will provide information in the official ITU languages, aims to:

*	 Provide links to courses, awards, scholarships and other related support that specifically target ICT career development for girls (in middle and secondary school levels) and young women (at the university and graduate school level). This will include information about formal university courses, fellowships, scholarships and awards, mentoring or shadowing programmes, technology camps, internship programs and employment drives.  The programs may be implemented by the ICT private sector, Ministries of Communication and National Regulatory authorities as well as by educational institutions and non-governmental groups;
*	Profile companies, Ministries of Communication, National Regulatory Authorities, and other entities  that :

	*	 seek to employ women ICT professionals;
	*	 promote research and development (R&D) among young women;
	*	provide training, internships or other career development programmes for girls and young women;
	*	organize "Girls in ICT" days on the fourth Thursday of every April;

*	Profile the experiences of women in leading roles in the ICT sector as well as successful young ICT innovators;
*	Facilitate industry connections with students, career counsellors and educators to promote ICT education and career paths; <http://sn127w.snt127.mail.live.com/mail/RteFrame_16.0.1702.0709.html?dl=dl#_msocom_1>
*	Highlight ICT careers as dynamic and exciting and offering multi-disciplinary options;
*	Document sector projections, trends and analysis including national or regional labour market analysis ; key measures that primary, secondary and tertiary schools can take to prepare girls and young women for careers in ICT; and the role of the ICT private sector, Ministries of Communication and National Regulatory authorities in encouraging more women to enter the ICT sector.
*	 In addition to posting information about programmes on the Girls in ICT Portal, ITU will select from the submissions, five innovative programmes to be showcased at ITU World TELECOM in October 2011.

 Your recommendations, suggestions and references will be invaluable in ensuring that the portal is as comprehensive as possible.  Your contribution will go towards the future of the ICT industry and to girls and women who need more information on  entering this exciting and rewarding field.

Please do share this call for information with your networks &  Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

www.networkedintelligence.com <http://www.networkedintelligence.com/>