[IndiChix] Call for volunteers

VidAyer vid at svaksha.com
Thu Jan 29 02:12:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

Replying in a single mail...

@Radha, Kadambari : Assuming the +1 was for tasks you want to take
up....Cool, and thanks for signing up :)
Kadambari, on an tangential note, fossconf was announced so do you
want to take the miniconf idea up with them. You could write to
Srinivasan and Kenneth (organisers?) directly and use the Aussiechix
links I had posted earlier. The Chennai lug is very active in local
colleges and the students on the list can easily spread the word so
getting women speakers should not be a big problem.  Since most
organising and collaboration can be handled via email, irc or phone
calls, presumably, it wont involve much on ground legwork except
during the event. #linux-india on freenode is where a lot of chatter
happens.

@ Gayathri:  1.Regarding platforms -- Any platform that satisfies the
"community contributes" criteria is good enough and in a
volunteerocracy (read, the team that is doing the work) gets to decide
that :-)  Its one thing for us (including  me) to suggest X, Y and Z,
"do this/that"  but they are free to turn requests down if they dont
have the time to learn a new technology, or cant find volunteers to
help out with tasks. The last thing we want is people being
over-burdened, especially when the community is small and growing,
like ours.
2. Hosting -- Its positive news, but the delay is mine. I need to
collate things and will mail the list to vote on hosting.
3. Volunteering/backups --- Much better to have a team of people,
rather than one or two with "super cow" powers. Precisely why there
are 6 list admins...its certainly not because of the volume of work.
So any LChix here who wants to learn the ropes, holler.

@Neville :  Umm.. would a skin for the mediawiki fall in that category
?  And we so do need people who can write good technical
documentation/tutorials. Feel free to cobble together teams of folks
that want to handle this once things are up  :)

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||
|| You are what your deepest desire is ; As you desire, so is your
intention ; As your intention, so is your will ; As is your will, so
is your deed ; As is your deed, so is your destiny | ~Upanishads ||