[IndiChix] [1] hosting and [2] wiki backups

VidAyer vid at svaksha.com
Fri Jan 16 18:10:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM, சுதர்சன் சாந்தியப்பன்
<sudarsun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Group,
>
> I can allow multiple web-administrators to hover around the domain/webspace
> management.  I am also willing to share the primary admin access credentials
> with a couple of "honest/responsible" members of the group, if need be.

Agreed.... It being your space and you being kind enough to host it
for us. Much appreciated.

> Did you mean 2nd access control for the webspace administration or the
> contact for the domain administration ?
> If it is domain contact persons; i think it is not possible to do that as
> the primary domain is not registered with my account.
>
> Let me explain this further..
>
> I am recommending india.linuxchix.org to get pointed to the webspace hosted
> through my godaddy.com account.  For this, we have to ask the domain
> administrator of www.linuxchix.org to create a subdomain namely
> india.linuxchix.org and update their DNS to the ones I would give.  So that
> while resolving for india.linuxchix.org, we will get the IP address of the
> server which is hosted by godaddy.com under my account.  The domain contact
> persons cannot be configured for sub-domains like india.linuxchix.org,
> instead it is only configurable for linuxchix.org which is held by a
> different group of people.

I grok what you are saying. We would need to ask LC to point
india.linuxchix.org to your IP address.

My query is : would it be possible to give shell access (ssh) to
maintain the wiki. Since we cant expect you to give root access to
install the wiki, etc you would have to install the same (including
the planet aggregator) and we can form a team of women to maintain
different aspects of the s/w.

@Anivar : Would you happen to know any non-profit in India that would
be willing to host LCIN?

Fwiw, some LC women have been kind enough to offer to host us but as a
local chapter its better to find volunteers within the Indian
community. So while their offer is appreciated, its a last resort just
incase we cant get things going locally. Based on the responses thus
far, that should not be a problem :)

Thoughts !

--

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||
|| You are what your deepest desire is ; As you desire, so is your
intention ; As your intention, so is your will ; As is your will, so
is your deed ; As is your deed, so is your destiny | ~Upanishads ||