[IndiChix] An Open request to LinuxChix-India

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:53:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Here is the page from linuxchix.org that suggests about the subdomain -
> > http://www.linuxchix.org/letting-us-know.html
> >
> > It is stated optional in this page however have seen chapters to do the
> > following under normal circumstances:
> >
> > a) Form the chapter, post announcement to announce at linuxchix.org
> > b) Identify the advisory/ technical leads for chapter to conduct various
> > activities
> > c) Pass live feeds from chapter to http://www.linuxchix.org/live
> >

> Thanks for the pointer. Even though this seems optional, I think it's
> a good thing to have in place.
>
> > I think forming this advisory / administrative group and identifying
> members
> > is primary task at hand. After which the domain ownership/contacts can be
> > narrowed further. In any case Swati Sani is the current domain owner.
> Formal
> > procedures must be followed as in purchase of domain. We can't simply
> > request Swati to hand it off to this group.
> >

> I see a difference of opinion here. I myself feel that forming groups
> is a good thing. I have far felt and will continue to feel that the
> forming of groups is distinct from the issue of domain ownership.
>
> Given the various points raised about her so far, and in the interests
> of having a valid domain for the group, I feel we actually can
> politely ask her if she's OK with handing over domain name ownership
> to active list members, and of course state there that list members
> would be OK with reimbursing her for the costs. Speaking for myself, I
> may have not mentioned costs so far, but I am aware that it would have
> cost her money, and that we should be reimbursing her for these costs.
>
> Simply being a domain name owner is not the same as being an active list
> member.
>
> > Also note the central LinuxChix group is happy to forward requests to
> > subdomain http://<chaptername>.linuxchix.org, which means finding
> hosting/
> > supporting chapter's infrastructure is the chapter's responsibility.
> Seems
> > fair and well structured to me.
> >

> I do not know the specifics of which server is actually hosting this
> instance. Issuing a redirect, which is what I've mentioned, is
> fortunately easy enough with Apache. We can have the same Apache
> instance respond to both the domain names using Virtual Hosting, and
> need only mention a redirect in the linuxchix.org.in VirtualHost
> redirecting to the india.linuxchix.org domain (hosted on the same
> machine and perhaps in the same config file).
>
> Hence, all the existing infrastructure can indeed remain in place.
>
> Seems fair and structured to me too, which is why I've mentioned
> anything about it at all so far.
>
> > I did not start this separate thread with intent on forking
> conversations.
> > Wanted to see if we all collectively agree on forming the "advisory" and
> [...]
No problem Sriram, not taking it personally at all. Glad here as well, that
we are discussing this in a procedural manner. I

Seems like we both agree on the formations of the two groups but differ on
how this domain ownership issue must be handled.

I see you are suggesting:

option 1: that either Swati transfer the domain to indichix at linuxchix.org(or)
option 2: have Hassath/other administrators contact with formal letter for
transfer.

If I have to agree with either one of those options it would be option 2.

Think I was tying formation of the groups prior to resolving any issues
related to this chapter., but don't see why not per your suggestion treat
them as separate issues.

Most certainly agree we should resolve this issue so we can move on. Sitting
this further only delays discussions and recurs year after year.

Personally I think Swati disassociated from this list due to the flaming/
bitterness of environment. She is currently unsubscribed which explains why
she has not responded.

Forming any non-profit volunteer run organization is not an easy matter.
Everyone year, spends "their" time towards every task oriented for this
community. That given it is hard to brush off personal remarks,
personalities only enlarging small tasks at hand. This group worked
perfectly like clock work when it was a "small" bunch, but we are "growing".
We need more structure.

Thanks for actively participating and conveying your inputs.
--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39