[IndiChix] Is anyone on the list learnting PyQT ?

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:09:56 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Archu <archu.oct at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sriram,
>

>> 1. Does anyone on this list use PyQT professionally ?
>> 2. What have your experiences with using PyQT been ?
>> 3. What learning steps would you recommend to a programmer ?
>>    (I've used the Java programming language in a professional
>> capacity for some years, and have also dabbled with Ruby, though I can
>> today only read the language).
>
> I have been trying to learn python for few days now.. and I am just
> getting started with some stuff of it.
> I don use them in my work, but am interested in how python works and
> how it differs from others.
>
> abt QT, am nowhere near to it these days :(

Please understand, it is not QT. It is Qt that you are talking about,
hence PyQt. They are different products by 2 different companies. One
is a closed source. While other is a free software, licensed under GPL
( and there is a non-free license version as well ).  This is a very
common mistake and a lot of people seem to be making it recently.
Thanks for understanding.

Now on topic - PyQt is an excellent idea if you are not inclined to do
C++ programming and instead like Python. There are good tutorials on
the web about this topic. And to answer what can be done with PyQt.
Pretty much everything that can be done with Qt/C++. I saw Piyush
Verma implementing tabbed browser in PyQt with some 100 lines of code
or something at KDE Day @ FOSS.IN/2008 little over a month back. Super
cool stuff. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Pradeepto