[IndiChix] Chix wars

hassath at gmail.com hassath at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:29:22 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 8:50 PM, pavithran <pavithran.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess I will be banned from the group ,
> but still I ask why these endless
> mails and discussions on a domain name , a admin , a group and  who controls
> what !

Please don't imply that people can be banned from the list for asking
questions. That kind of facetiousness is certainly not what we need
right now.

> And someone points that this will scare newbies . I bet they would have
> already ran away :(

Yes, all this viciousness and flame wars are most likely scary or
unpleasant for newbies. The point has been made earlier. However, I
repeat - please don't make assumptions about people leaving, and
definitely don't state them on the list. It's not true, polite or
helpful.

> But neverthless the points made by the people are needed .

Thanks.

> The situation arose when domain .org.in domain was renewed by someone who is
> a non member of the group .
> Hence a discussion on getting the in. domain and the feasiblities .

Correct.

> Someone telling / some one blaming others about a possiblity of fork really
> took the whole issue to a different direction with personal attacks which
> could have been avoided .

Thanks for expressing that.

> I suggest :
> *Instead of just continuous mails why not go to domain control panel of
> .org.in and make it point in. and making in. the permanent domain maintained
> by the existing mailing list admin group .

Your suggestion is fine - but isn't that the point? That apparently no
one can get in touch with Swati Sani who controls the domain? Even if
we decide to use another domain, we still want to be able to point
linuxchix.org.in to the new domain - and that's not possible unless
the current owners give access.

> *The most important thing is to go to colleges and industries and get more
> girls involved in the FOSS movement and encourage them to contribute .

I don't know about "the most important thing", but yes, it is a good
suggestion, and something that has often come up on the list earlier.
Which colleges and industries can you help with? Can you initiate
contact with any of the college authorities? Can you coordinate with
the indichix closest to you to see if they will be available to
address such people?

> *Why not organise a competition for linux chix india poster design , logo
> design .. the traditional Indian look for a penguin .
> *Why not like in fci.wikia.com show a featured contributor in linuxchix
> website with some lines of the women who contributed for the FOSS project .

Ok (though I have doubts about 'traditional Indian look' in a country
as diverse as ours). What part of this are you willing to do/take
responsibility for?

> There is lot of scope for linuxchix india . It's better if this domain and
> moderator issue be solved soon and get to real tasks.

Well, that *is* what we are trying to do - resolve these issues asap.
We need to write an official mail to Swati Sani requesting her to hand
over the domain. Any volunteers for drafting such a mail? I would
suggest that all suggestions for points to be incorporated in such a
mail be sent here. Or does anyone else have any alternate suggestions
on how to go about it?

Or - does anyone here have appropriate rights to change the definition
of the virtual host on the current web server? If yes, please say so
now. Even if you disagree and don't want to do it for whatever reasons
- please speak up now and clarify your stand.

As of now, only Gayathri has offered herself as a volunteer. Anybody
else who wants to volunteer for anything?

> Regards,
> pavithran

Thanks for your suggestions, Pavithran.
--