[IndiChix] [Grrltalk] COC and Policy for Chapters

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 23:49:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Gayathri Swaminathan
<gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Vid Ayer <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> From, http://www.linuxchix.org/founding-local-linuxchix-chapter.html ,
>> "Local Linuxchix chapters are completely autonomous provided that your
>> chapter observes the central aim of LinuxChix: "supporting women in
>> Linux", and your chapter observes the "be polite, be helpful" rules.
>> You can do anything you like beyond that."
>>
>> Unfortunately this freedom and autonomy is being misused by a select
>> few for unknown reasons.  I am aware that local issues should be
>> solved locally but its entirely demotivating to have vitriolic abusive
>> state this because Linuxchix-India domain is currently owned by a
>> woman who has left the group and has not communicated with LCIN for
>> about a year now.  Fwiw, previous attempts last year and more recent
>> attempts, as is evident in the ensuing thread[1][2], resulted in a lot
>> of vitriolic personal attacks[3] and threats to fork the group
::snip::

Policy is good. However, nothing keeps a list on track more than an
involved listowner. If you are going to have a list or other forum,
please be sure that there is one person or small group who are
experienced in responsible monitoring. The most important
qualification is having the time to read messages almost instantly,
and being calm and fair about listowner actions.

More below.....

>> So this is a request and a suggestion that LC draft a policy for
>> chapters with respect to domain ownership, hosting and server access
>> issues.  Its certainly not nice to curtail freedom but misusing the
>> freedom LC provides is not helpful and very demotivating.
>>
>> Since there has been no precedent like this in the 10 years of LC's
>> existence, I'd like folks to suggest a way out of the current
>> gridlock.  I am sending this mail to the grrl-talk list so that
>> everyone can participate and discuss the issue and its discussed
>> publicly with archives** so we can avoid future mud-slinging and
>> finger-pointing.   In case someone has a thought to share on how to go
>> ahead and resolve the (linuxchix.org.in) domain and keep things in one
>> place. Am also keeping the Indichix list in the loop so people can
>> suggest how we go ahead from here.
>>
>> ** NB: Grrl-talk is open to men subscribing but I'd also like to
>> request the archives be made public (its currently only available to
>> subscribers).
>>
>> Thanks for reading,
>> --
>> Vid
>

> Don't think making grrtalk archives public is necessary.
>
> The problem LinuxChix-India is facing is a very simple problem. The local
> chapter needs a new domain name to better associate with it's parent
> organization LinuxChix. The problem stems/hinges on the "how" part.
>
> Handling the technical/ communication parts of this move needs explanation,
> forming protocols, informing volunteers/ contributors. The
> founders/administrators of LinuxChix-India need to work on these details and
> consistently inform members of the organization.
>
> The threads cited in your email got way out-of-whack as a result of past
> references/ancient history. If there were policies forbiding such
> "unhealthy" discussions the list administrators could have warned the
> concerned member ( as Hassath did).
>
> LinuxChix-India has a lot of work ahead this year in terms of strengthening:
>
> - why it exists
> - how to encourage participation
> - reforming guidelines/protocols for communication.
>
> Have the above defined will streamline these discourses.

Good communication is key, as is leadership and spreading around the
responsibility. As Carla has said, no one should shoulder all the
responsibility, nor labor on alone. We are a community, and we need to
help and encourage one another.

I think it's important to remember that we are all only human, and can
function well for for awhile, and then need a break. If you see
someone who needs that break, check with them. They may not realize
that they are heading into burnout. Talk about it.

Valorie
--
Facebook: http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507013560
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/valoriez