[IndiChix] Libre Labs for women

Vid_A vid at svaksha.com
Fri Sep 5 18:00:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:07,  <hassath at gmail.com> wrote:
> yet, here is one: I spoke with Gayatri, the founder of FAT (Feminist Approach
> to Technology www.fat-net.org), an organisation with which I
> volunteer. FAT has an office space which it will allow to be used for
> such Libre Labs. However, it doesn't meet all the criteria listed
> here.

Those criteria's are just thoughts off-the-top-of-my-head, not etched
in stone. So feel free to create your (fat-net's?)  criteria :) just
so long as the broad goal of giving back to the Libre community
happens and we dont create islands of excellence (read restricted
pools of knowledge).

> FAT will allow the space ONLY for women participants, in keeping with
> its policies.

Will they allow male speakers to conduct courses ?

> That's the difficult bit, because FAT can't offer any woman-power,
> overloaded as they are. I can offer a bit of time to help out, but I
> am not in a position to take the lead on this. However, I'll gladly
> coordinate with FAT, once there is something concrete.

Initially its not going to be a whole lot of work since women coming
into the project would be new and usually need help in  identifying
what they want to do, what options are available, where their
interests are, etc....  Thats a step only they can take but once that
is crossed its just a matter of mentoring them through the resources,
which is when the tough work really starts. Correct me if I am wrong
:)

> Would they be in a position to do the coordination and planning? I can
> put them in touch with Gayatri, and they can come and
> check out the space, to begin with.

Ajay (thanks :-)) has already answered this. Maybe JNU students would
be interested?

@Ajay, please ask google if they would be able to spare only 2
machines for starters in Bangalore.

--