[IndiChix] [Pune] Proposed Session at Abida Inamdar college for women

Ankita Garg gargankita at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 15:12:41 UTC 2008

Hi Runa,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runa.misc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Manjusha Joshi has been coordinating with the authorities in Abida Inamdar
> college in Pune, to host
> a session on FOSS. The proposed date is 15th of March 2008 (Saturday). The
> intent is to:

This is a wonderful news!!

> 1. familiarizing the  participants about Linux and FOSS,

Runa, for this, it would be nice if we could have a demo/video for
installing/working/getting started with Linux (if the girls there have not
been exposed to Linux at all). This had come up as a suggestion at the
session in IITK. Just talking about Linux being equivalent to Windows blah
blah might not have a strong take down. So a hands-on session is what I
would vote for !!

> 2.  introducing them to community participation,
> 3.  understanding their needs in this domain based upon curriculum and
> career prospects
>
> The profile and level of familiarity with computers for the participants
> might vary and further
> sessions on more specific topics may have to be considered based upon
> their feedback.
>
> A proposed agenda and preliminary set of proposed talks are up on the
> CityMeet Page for Pune. [1]
>
> More ideas about the session would be of great help. :-)
>
> Please consider this as a call for volunteers for participation in the
> event. Entry might be
> restricted for men, since it is a college for women. Hence, it might be
> practical for more women to
> volunteer this time. :-)
> Please add in your name (and email id) under the section "Attendees" in
> [1],  as well as your ideas
> for the  event under the proposed agenda/talks section.
>
> The proposed date is 15th March 2008, however the time is not yet fixed.
> The session might last for
> about 2 hours. Please keep a watch on the page and or mail
> me/manjusha/the-main-list for queries.
>
> see you there.
>
> cheers
> Runa