[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 05:17:22 UTC 2008

On 3/2/08, Gayathri Swaminathan <gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Not reading between lines. In fact if you re-read what I was saying, think
> we should in fact discuss openly and see if a name change is necessary.
>
> "We" as in all the indichix mailing list members. To me all members need to
> have say in something huge as a name change. Some may be like to keep, some
> may not but **that** discussion should happen.

True, I believe that discussion was happenning. In that spirit it
helps to know what is the objective behind the name change which as
you say is huge. If its because of the word Chix in Linuxchix then
that would not change even if one changes the groups name and calls it
by an other Indian name.  When folks are asked to visit the site or
irc or the mailing list the word Chix still occurs.  How does one
avoid any reference to the LinuxChix name ?

Practically speaking, the name change without fully thinking out the
consequences is not helpful in the long run. Like the main list had
the discussion how do we handle the change in a synergic manner ....
Suppose the Indian name is used have possibilities been considered
over what to do if there are demands that having different reference
names and site names is confusing hence the group site/server should
not use Linuxchix and change to new Indian name. How is the group
going to handle this confusion or explain the distinction ? - which
may be easy for the members to understand but may not be for a
newcomer.

> Anyone signing up for linuxchix.org.in wiki have access to the Yes/No page
> on the name change Runa has setup. Or they could respond to this thread here
> and say it.

Exactly, a wiki with account access allows interested individuals to
add their ideas freely.

> As I have relayed in the my past emails, I like the "LinuxChix" name, think
> it is an intelligent twist. But also see other's viewpoint/ problems with
> it. ( indichix members, chicaslinux.org etc.,).

In my experience, there are few men who have told me they dont like
the word Linuxchix at first mention. Am I disheartened by their
reaction? No they have a right to think negatively but once I explain
the work done by the group and the positive impact it has, they
usually change their opinion. There will still be that lone person who
refuse to understand the work and does not agree with its existence.
Fine by me so long as the person does not come here and deny us our
space or work. YMMV.

Indianising (terminoligy?) or localisation of the group does not start
or end with just a name. Its a lot more and its also not necessary
that everyone has to like the group, its work or even Gnu/Linux for
that matter.

> Here is another question then, if we changed our name to something else like
> chicaslinux.org did, and still associated ourselves with LinuxChix's main

Nicer if someone with Spanish knowledge can throw light on the
linguistic interpretations on the word Chicas but since I dont know
Spanish I googled and found that Chica means "pretty girl" and Chicas
is the plural for "pretty girls".  Using a term like "pretty girl"
might have women (and men) protesting that we discriminate on the
basis of beauty or (add any abstract adjective of choice). What then?

> objectives, will it matter? As long we did conduct activities, projects,
> efforts to empower women..will it matter to call ourselves something else?

Agree fully with "conduct activities, projects, efforts to empower
women" because *that* is a change that needs to happen. Expecting
change in mindsets towards women in FLoss merely by changing the name
seems far-fetched. YMMV.

So while one is free to suggest/discuss new names (or anything else)
do think out the consequences and if we do invest energy in this
exercise, how does it benefit us in the short term and long term. Will
it actually stop people from calling us a part of Linuxchix and hence
Chix !?

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||