[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 17:19:50 UTC 2008

Hey Vidya:

This is the constant exercise with you.

1. <Suggestion> gets offered
2. You <challenge> suggestions, even before anyone has said anything
3. Then there is a lamefest of <man/woman> discussion
4. Then <suggestion> gets punted off

I am not trying to pinpoint either. When you say "we", "them" who do you
mean? This is not some dias of argument. It appears there is an issue
related to the "chix" name. You raised the same concerns in LinuxChix main
mailing list and saw different perceptions, din't you?

I think this page Runa has set up is gonna offer clarification,
http://linuxchix.org.in/wiki/index.php/Chapter_Name_Suggestions#Ayes_and_Nos_for_a_Localized_Name

The paragraph under "Things/Points to be considered before the change" does
not come leader like but your name is signed at the very bottom of that
paragraph. So, guess you are owning up to your opinions?

LCIN is a chapter of LinuxChix. We must and should go by guidelines of
LinuxChix to have proper affiliation/representation. But that said, it is an
entity on its own. How we conduct activities/ perform outreach within India
is **our** business. No one can guide us in that capacity from main
LinuxChix..Does that seem rational to you.

The analogy to this would be UN, um just because India is part of UN, we
must change our constitution totally..no we should bring **something in** of
our own. We conform to the mandatory guidelines mebbe, but that does mean we
lose our identity..you see what I mean?

The main two mantras I see of LinuxChix are:

- Be polite, be helpful
- empower women who like Linux/FOSS as both men/women who support women in
computing.

As Aneesha points of this should be a community decision.

Thanks,
Gayathri

Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39