[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 14:54:21 UTC 2008

Just my Rs 0.80

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008, Atul Chitnis sent out 1.4K bytes to say:
> The term "chick", used by Deb in 1998 as the basis for the creation
> of the name "LinuxChix", is slang for "a girl or young woman"[1], and a
> decade ago was a reasonably acceptable term, especially in the USA.

The word chick may be considered innappropriate, but it all depends on
the context. Almost every word can become innappropriate in /some/
context.

LinuxChix is one of those names which has the super-awesome ability to
be a name which is so simple that it is easy to remember.

I'm a person that doesn't speak hindi, or practically any Indian
language, and most of those names seem (to me) as just names of people.

A name which is as clever as linuxchix is easily remembered, even when
you just hear it in passing. It sticks in the back of my mind as
something I want to look up. I don't know if a name like (say) LinuxVipra
is as meaningful to the average person.

Names mean what you want them to mean. Lets look up the definition of
the word 'Geek' (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek).

Definition no 3: a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid
or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Yet the entire hacker community rallies behind the word geek. That very
word which was once used to insult computer entusiasts became a word
that people now proudly call themselves.

Maybe Chix/Chicks is just another one of those words?

Also, at least according to the transation of some of those words, many
of those words have nothing to do with women. This group has a focus on
Indian Women, and I think any candidate name should reflect this.

Btw, perhaps it would be nice to get some clearly defined voting
mechanism than (what appears to be) writing it on the wiki.
--
Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in