[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Aneesha Govil popcorn09 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 09:31:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Hassath <hassath at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Aneesha Govil <popcorn09 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  [...]
>
> >  We can only take into account the
>  >  present group here.
>
>  And avoid thinking about reasonable possibilities in the future?
List out the "reasonable" possibilities please.

>  > I am simply saying choose something that majority of
>  >  the group don't find offensive here.
>
>  I agree. I am only saying that if we change the name at all, a
>  substantial number of people should have convincing arguments about
>  why the change benefits us and that every effort should be made to
>  find a generally acceptable compromise, rather than taking the
>  majority view right at this moment.

Oh because the majority doesn't agree with you? Communities are
democratic and yes, majority does govern them.

>  >  >  Someone from North East India might have much more trouble with the
>  >  >  'India' part of our name than with the 'chix'.
>  >  Can you cite any references or basis for that belief? Is North East
>  >  India not a part of India?
>
>  :-)
>
>  I could cite reams, but I'm afraid it isn't possible to condense more
>  than fifty years of history involving a few dozen tribes and a few
>  hundred thousand deaths into a bite-sized chunk; and it would be
>  off-topic here anyway. If you are actually interested, however, the
>  following links might be a good place to start:
>
>  2¢ overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-East_India#Political_issues
>  http://www.nscnonline.org/modules.php?name=History
>  http://www.nagalim.nl/naga/history/history.html

Alright, if they find the "India" part offensive, they can start their
own chapter but a chapter in India would be called Something - India
because tada!!! we are in India!
 [...]
>  Even if we were to agree to your point: are you suggesting that if
>  people think "linuxchix" is derogatory, it is a problem with something
>  WE are doing? Hmm.

I think linuxchix is derogatory and if I still call myself "chix",
yes, I am doing it wrong.

>  On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Aneesha Govil <popcorn09 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >  If localizing a name makes it easier to get support for the
>  >  kind of activities we are involved in, it makes sense to do it.
>
>  I agree with this, except that (like I've already said) localizing it
>  genuinely is not an uncomplicated process.
Oh so localization is not acceptable to you because it is complicated?

Aneesha