[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 05:20:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

In the spirit of trying to understand our goal for change (whatever it
may be) I have some thoughts, queries which I would like answered
because change and voting is a serious exercise, certainly not a
monthly/annual excercise any group should indulge in without fully
thinking out the consequences.

Disclaimer : not replying to a specific mail/person.......

On 2/29/08, Gayathri Swaminathan <gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the name is in the way of conducting activities, there

Two different things (conducting activities and name)...so I am trying
to understand why/what/where/how we are trying to change things in
India ? :-

- Is it people's mindsets in general, casual attendee's offering
comments in a conference I speak at or people actually involved in a
group with (dis)similar thoughts and attempts to help women in FLoss ?

- Are we more interested in just the name or the *work* that  LCIN can
do? If the latter is important we should find ways to collaborate with
the local city-based LUG's, join their local work/meets and if none
exist find ways to revive that work instead of trying to bring about a
change in mindsets alone.
I think you all agree that its the work that speaks than just the
right name (if such a thing even exists) !!

> needs to be some sort of facilitation. Could be as simple as <New Name> -
> LinuxChix Indian chapter or something like that.

I had asked this earlier too but it went unanswered/ignored ...I would
llike to hear how people wishing a name change plan to handle the
following ::

1] this list and our IRC channel still have 'Chix' appended.
Currently LC hosts mailman and IRC for us but they will still have a
'-Chix' appended to their name. [@linuxchix.org]. How do you see that
changing ? Do you plan to continue using the linuxchix.org servers for
hosting the list and irc channels or setup one with the new name?

2] Website : linuxchix.org.in, mirror's our affiliation to parent org.
- How do you plan to address the confusion resulting from all this change?
- Is there a plan to register a new-Indian-name domain instead? If
yes, there needs to be clarity and discussion on who will own/register
the domain. IMHO, to avoid individual control, it should preferably
not be held by a single woman but a group of women.
- Do you plan to move the website ?

3] When I talk about the LCIN with any person or at any local event I
will be introducing it as a local chapter of Linuxchix (or is that
going to change too?). How does one wish away the "Chix" fron the main
Linuxchix.org because that word and hence questions on the word 'chix'
will still crop up, despite us having an Indian name.  So how am I
supposed to explain the different confusing names? How does one deal
with the negative reactions of being a part of the main LinuxChix org
?

> Can we do a page in wiki for polls on keep name/ change name? This
> should give us an idea of how many people see it as being necessary.

Assuming that we are getting more organised and voting for change, who
gets to vote? Anyone with a mail ID or only women or only people we
have met/known (how do we decide that person X really knows/met Y/Z) ?

What about 2 years down the line when more people join us and dislike
whatever and by sheer strength of numbers starts asking for
'foo-change' on account of 'foo-reason'. Do we have plans to address
their concerns because they are valid too?

Right now I am not clear what changes we will be voting for because a
name change involves all of the points I raised above. I have more
concerns but would like some clarifications on the very basics first.

Thanks,
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||