[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Hassath hassath at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 02:51:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Aneesha Govil <popcorn09 at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>  We can only take into account the
>  present group here.

And avoid thinking about reasonable possibilities in the future?

> I am simply saying choose something that majority of
>  the group don't find offensive here.

I agree. I am only saying that if we change the name at all, a
substantial number of people should have convincing arguments about
why the change benefits us and that every effort should be made to
find a generally acceptable compromise, rather than taking the
majority view right at this moment.

>  >  Someone from North East India might have much more trouble with the
>  >  'India' part of our name than with the 'chix'.
>  Can you cite any references or basis for that belief? Is North East
>  India not a part of India?

:-)

I could cite reams, but I'm afraid it isn't possible to condense more
than fifty years of history involving a few dozen tribes and a few
hundred thousand deaths into a bite-sized chunk; and it would be
off-topic here anyway. If you are actually interested, however, the
following links might be a good place to start:

2¢ overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-East_India#Political_issues
http://www.nscnonline.org/modules.php?name=History
http://www.nagalim.nl/naga/history/history.html

>  Pardon my ignorance but when I saw couple
>  of north eastern hockey players being called guests in delhi, they
>  found it extremely offensive. I understand it is a movie but I don't
>  see your point here.

Popular Hindi cinema might be a good source for entertainment, but is
not a reliable source for facts or history, or even current affairs.
You could try watching The Other Media's "Naga Story: The Other Side
of Silence".

> Besides, if any Indian has a problem with being
> called an Indian, I suppose it is not something that WE are doing
> wrong.

(India's history of oppressing various ethnic groups is not something
I have the inclination to start on here.)

Even if we were to agree to your point: are you suggesting that if
people think "linuxchix" is derogatory, it is a problem with something
WE are doing? Hmm.

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Aneesha Govil <popcorn09 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  If localizing a name makes it easier to get support for the
>  kind of activities we are involved in, it makes sense to do it.

I agree with this, except that (like I've already said) localizing it
genuinely is not an uncomplicated process.

--
- Hassath