[IndiChix] How to become open source contributor?

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 15:26:43 UTC 2008

Hey,

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Radha <radha.nitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am one among the unfortunate people who don't have the opportunity to
> contribute to open source software as part of job.
>
> I can on an average spend 8 hours a week for opensource development and I
> know C,C++,Perl. Familiar with Linux installation,shell scripting and
> working in Linux environment and excited about Linux. May be I can say I am
> a Linux enthusiast.
>
> I would like to work on some opensource project a part from job. But
> something like part time contributor?
>
> How can I start? Where can I start?

          I am not really sure what your interests - i mean domain
specific interests. But with your knowledge/interest of C/C++, you are
most welcome to contribute to the KDE project :).  I can give you as
many pointers ( pun intended ).

          In KDE we have something called as "Junior Jobs", where some
easy fixes need to be done with the guidance of some mentor.  It is a
very good point to start because things are easy/to moderately
challenging, and a great opportunity to learn more as you go ahead.

          Another solution would be to start delving in to code base
of comparatively easy and fun but very important applications like
kde-edu [1] and start working on them, maybe find a easy bug to fix or
do something else. There are more interesting places as well, just a
pointer for now.

           If you need more specific  ( KDE ) pointers, feel free to ask.

           [1] http://edu.kde.org/

          Cheers!

Pradeepto
--