[IndiChix] mitwi (man and info pages through web interface)

Amit Rana amit.rana at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:11:55 UTC 2008

Nice work, I am sure this is going to be helpful. Just a few feedback:
- When I search for a command and you are able to find one 'exact'
match isn't it better to directly display the page instead of showing
it as a list and making user click one more time? (Just a small
usabitily thing)
- When I go to a direct link, 'Return to Main contents' link doesnt
work. I tried http://mitwi.dgplug.org/man/man8/lsof.8.html , actually
I just noticed even menu links are not working on that page.
- I think this might be just my problem, I went to the home page
selected Fedora 8, then selected man radio button and clicked on 'show
commands'. Nothing happens, I come back to same page :) what am I
missing?
- When I search for 'ls' I see two entries, for beginners it would be
nice to have one more column in the table so that they know why two
rows for same command?
- I am not sure if this is one of the aims of the project but you
might want to make your urls pretty so that search engines can index
them (SEO advantage) for eg instead of
http://mitwi.dgplug.org/index.cgi?man=./man/man1/ls.1.html&rel=F-7
something like http://mitwi.dgplug.org/fedora/7/man-pages/command/ls

And yes, I also have some css knowledge so will be happy to help with
css or fixing/implementing any of the above.

my 2 cents.

Regards,
Amit.