[IndiChix] IndiChix Archives

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:35:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

Terri has ported our archives from 2005. Yay thanks :)
She also clarified that the default mailman keeps archives private
[/me changed that as per values used in other lists i admin, until i
saw that other chapters keep their list archives private, my bad].
Since there is no clear policy, what do you grrls want to do ? Keep
archives public or Private (as in list members use their mail id and
password to access archives).

Public lists are those thrown up via a google search where questions,
answers and discussion might be helpful to other people. That  means
ever spammers can harvest your id. It is obfuscated but not good
enough.
Private (as in only list subscribers use their mail id and password to
access archives) list helps newbies ask simple questions without
worrying that someone googling for their name can find them. Sometimes
it can be a potential employer and that "silly help question" 4 years
ago may work against you.

/QUOTING Terri :

I'd guess the other private lists are that way just to limit people's
exposure to spam, or maybe to keep sensitive discussions
non-searchable.

Some points that might make more sense to your members

Public archives means your messages can be googled
- this can be good if it's information that you want the world to know
(ie - you'd like other people to see that awesome solution to your
problem that you found, or that one of the other chix figured out for
you)
- this can be good because more people who might be interested in
Indichix can find you when they're googling
- this can be bad if you're trying to protect email addresses from
getting spam (we do obfuscate, but it's not foolproof)
- this can be bad if you wanted to talk about personal matters or job
matters that you don't want to have on display to the world (mind you,
anyone could sign up for the lists and read them anyhow, so it only
really prevents casual viewers from finding the info) And they mean
that anyone can read the messages anytime, even before google indexes
them
- remember if you're scheduling meetups, anyone in the world can find
out where and when you meet!  This can be good, 'cause more women can
find you, or bad if you think unpleasant people might show up and
harass you.

My local chapter list was mostly queries like "is anyone going to this
event?" or "Does anyone have time for coffee on Thursday?" so we
didn't bother making public archives, 'cause no one would be that
interested in the messages long-term, and we might as well try to
protect ourselves from spam, but Indichix probably has more
interesting messages that Ottawa Linuxchix did. ;)

/UNQUOTING Terri.

Thoughts ?

--
Vid