[IndiChix] Rough draft of the story

Balanarayan NT nt.balanarayan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:38:14 UTC 2008

Hi,
Vidya told me to post the fnal article on IndiChix Bangalore meet before it
goes for print. Here is the rough draft. Please take a look and let me know
if any one has problem with any quote

BELOW IS THE ARTICLE

All of us have a role model who have inspired us with their lives or
teachings. So who can a woman look up to as a role model, a guide, need it
be a person at all? Well no, according to IndiChix  a group of free software
users and developers who have taken up Linux, the popular free operating
system as their guide.
The group has been around for a while and they have finally decide to meet
up on Saturday to plan their activities in Bangalore. Vidya Ayer, one of the
organisers of the meet was quite exited about the meet. "The main agenda of
the meet is to chalk out plans,tasks and activities of the  community in
Bangalore," she said. It's about women coming together to broaden the reach
of Linux and GPL while learning from each other in the process. "We try to
help people learn and understand Linux but what distinguishes us fro the
rest out there is that we are gender sensitive," says Vincent Vikram another
volunteer in the community.
So what inspired people to join this community over other Linux communities,
it can't be just the gender sensitivity can it? No according to Vidya it's
much more. "It is the difficulty in learning linux coupled with the rude
attitude one finds in most Linux communities that inspired this community,"
she adds. Indichix is a part of LinuxChix, which is an international
organisation of free software users. LinuxChix is now many things to many
people, but it remains primarily a group for supporting women in computing,
specifically in Open Source/Free Software/Software Libre computing. The
community which was formed in 1999 has 15 active regional centres as of now,
IndiChix being one of them Founder of LinuxChix Deb Richardson described it
as an alternative to the "locker room atmosphere" found in some online
technical forums and gave LinuxChix two core rules: "be polite" and "be
helpful".
The meet is planned to be at 3 pm in Christ College, Block 2 and is being
organised in association with Computer Science department of
Christ College. In Linux typing MAN on the command line brings up the help
menu maybe with organisations like these around even WOMAN will find the
help menu!

--
Regards,