[IndiChix] Minutes of Linuxchix meet - Mumbai

priti patil pritisd at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 05:27:54 UTC 2008

--- Barkha Khatri <barkha.khatri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The first Linuxchix city meet went well. The
> following people
> were present at the meet:
>
> * Priti Patil
> * Vivek V Cherian
> * Jagdish
> * Gaurav Chaturvedi
> * Barkha Khatri
>
> After the initial introductions were over, (and some
> coffee ordered),
> the group started discussing what could be done to
> spread awareness
> about Linuxchix India.
>
> Some points discussed at the meet were:
>
> 1. Awareness Campaigns:
>        - Talk about LC_IN in and around colleges in
> Mumbai,
> especially target colleges like SNDT University,
> which are women's
> only colleges, but not limit ourselves to them.
>        - Talk at conferences that happen throughout
> the country, or
> atleast make sure there is _some_ LC_IN presence
> felt.

We'll need to create an introduction (including our
philosophy & objectives/ultimate goal) text before
organizing these kind of events

> 2. Tasks List:
>        - Add to the tasks list[1], things that need
> to be done.
>        - Put up a page on the wiki, and ask people
> on the list to
> mention what are they interested in, on this page.
> Translations, write
> code, graphics, documentation, mentoring, etc. Such
> a list would help
> people with similar interests to group up together
> and adopt projects
> / subprojects.

We can think of including education sector in whole &
1stly arrange an orientation program in general to set
their mind frame firstly then go for domain-wise
(primary, secondary school, junior then senior
colleges) workshops. Since we're not targeting only
techies here we'll contact other streams as well (viz.
Arts, literature, etc)

> 3. Workshops.
>        - Schedule a hands-on workshop targetting
> students and
> others, who want to volunteer, but have no clue
> where to start from.
> The first of such kinds will be a translation
> workshop. Details about
> this shall be posted later.

As stated above we'll need to arrange one orientation
program before this may be per college or area-wise.

> 4. Logo and Name:
>        - `Bharatiya Naari' was suggested (yet
> again!) :)
>        - For the Indian logo, it was suggested to
> use a flowing saree
> draped around the letters. (None of those present
> were artistically
> inclined)

We'll discuss this on mailing list or if possible on
forum.

> 5. Forums
>        - It was sugggested to put up a forum (eg:
> PhpBB) for
> discussions.
>
> 6. Google Summer of Code:
>        - Register ourselves as a mentoring
> organization, and mentor
> projects (This needs more thought, we need to decide
> what project(s)
> to adopt - KDE, Gnome, Fedora, etc are already
> mentoring
> organizations - OLPC was brought up as OLPC
> developers are looking
> for translation to Indian languages)
>
> Another point brought up was about the lack of
> awareness of the Free
> Software philosophy in general at college level.
> Hence, it was decided
> to talk about :
> 1. The Free Software philosophy
> 2. Linuxchix India
> 3. The translation workshop
>
> over the next few months at whichever colleges we go
> to.
>
> The workshop will be held after the Mumbai
> University exams get over.
> This gives us around 4-5 months of time from now to
> talk about LC_IN
> in as many colleges as we can.

Lets prepare TODOs list for this Workshop, what
background work needs to be done for that? same would
be utilized for forthcoming events. Lets call for
voluteers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkha/sets/72157603638375046/

> Regards,
> Barkha.