[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Fri Feb 29 19:20:52 UTC 2008

Maybe a little input from the other side of the equation may be useful:

The term "chick", used by Deb in 1998 as the basis for the creation
of the name "LinuxChix", is slang for "a girl or young woman"[1], and a
decade ago was a reasonably acceptable term, especially in the USA.

However, since then it has mutated to a rather unfortunate derogatory
meaning, especially when used by young men in slightly more restrictive
societies like India.

Here in India, I have never heard the term "chick" used in anything but a
dismissive or suggestive manner when referring to a girl or woman. This is
probably not that obvious to women because the term is rarely used in
conversation when a woman is present, but in an all-male group, the term
is more likely to be used in a less-than-complimentary manner.

The result of this is that unlike in the USA in the late 20th century, the
term "chicks" (and hence "chix") carries an image in India *today* that I
don't think anyone in this group wants to project.

And since this group is about equality, I think it may be prudent to
consider renaming it to avoid sending out the wrong message, as well as to
avoid causing discomfort to anyone within the group.

Atul

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chicks

--
Atul Chitnis