[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Aneesha Govil popcorn09 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:32:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Hassath <hassath at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>  Unfortunately, unless we can think of an entirely meaningless or very
>  boring name (Society for the Technical Advancement of Women interested
>  in Linux?), there is a very real possibility that it will offend
>  someone, or be otherwise unacceptable.
We do not know of the someone yet. We can only take into account the
present group here. Granted, one name might be acceptable to some but
not to others but we can vote on that. So I am not saying that we
should find a name that would never be offensive to anyone in the
entire nation, I am simply saying choose something that majority of
the group don't find offensive here.

>  Someone from North East India might have much more trouble with the
>  'India' part of our name than with the 'chix'.
Can you cite any references or basis for that belief? Is North East
India not a part of India? Pardon my ignorance but when I saw couple
of north eastern hockey players being called guests in delhi, they
found it extremely offensive. I understand it is a movie but I don't
see your point here. Besides, if any Indian has a problem with being
called an Indian, I suppose it is not something that WE are doing
wrong.

>  A Sanskritised name might well put off many other communities in this country.
>  Surely we can't change our name every time someone is offended?
We are not changing a name "every time someone is offended". We are
simply trying to localize "chix", I already said why.

>  >  And yes, it may be about mindsets but I am not here to change the
>  >  mindset of people, I am simply here to evangelize FOSS and Linux. It
>  >  is as simple as that.
>
>  Alas, the more you speak to different kinds of people, the less simple
>  it becomes. What we want to achieve may be simple, but the way to it
>  is not necessarily so.
Let's have a consensus on what we want to achieve then we shall figure
out how it needs to be done. For now, the former seems to be the moot
point; we haven't even got a chance to get to the latter.

Aneesha