[IndiChix] Chapter Name suggestions

Hassath hassath at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 05:09:42 UTC 2008

Hi.

> http://linuxchix.org.in/wiki/index.php/Chapter_Name_Suggestions

1. My opinion is that we should stick with LinuxChix India. There is
enough confusion with the chapter being called that, the website being
at linuxchix.org.in,  and the mailing list and IRC channel being
called IndiChix.

2. Do the women in the Indian chapter mind being called "linuxchix"? I
don't. Mind you, I'm not asking whether they mind being called
"chicks"- "linuxchix" stands for something else altogether, after all
these years. Anyone who's seriously interested in LinuxChix and tries
to find out something about them will get a load of information which
will dispel any notion of its being a group of airy-headed twits.

3. If we can't *already* convince the people who have a problem with
our name right now, then how will it become better if we choose
another name? There will always be some people who don't like any
given name, regardless of the merit of the said name.

4. Unconnected to the points above: What does an "Indian" name mean?
Almost all the names are a Sanskrit/Sanskritised word (or add one to
"Linux" or "Tux"). Is that supposed to make it more friendly to *all*
Indians, even if they are from, say, Tamil Nadu or Andhra Pradesh?

5. I do see that it's possible that most other members would like to
change the name. If that is the case, by all means we should go ahead.
But we need to be clear about what exactly we want to achieve, and
what are our reasons for that.

6. As for my vote- I'm afraid I can't give it to any of the names listed.

Thanks.

--
- Hassath