[IndiChix] [Suggestions] Online Slide sharing service

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Fri Feb 8 15:22:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Runa Bhattacharjee wrote:

> I have been trying to upload the .odp slides for the presentation thats
> being discussed in the other thread with slideshare.net. But after
> multiple attempts and failures, I am really tired. Are there any other
> alternatives available that one could check out?

At the risk of invoking our listadmin's wrath, I'd like to put in a
suggestion:

The most standard and guaranteed-to-work-across-platforms format for
documents (text, slides) is pdf. It is now near universal - I honestly
cannot think of any PC (or even mobile device) that doesnt have a pdf
viewer available for it, and the format is now truly open.

At Linux Bangalore/FOSS.IN, we used to make slides available in various
formats, but we watched the downloads over the years since 2001, and it is
clear that the most downloads happen in pdf format - it just works. All
required fonts are embedded, everything sizes correctly.

Added advantage - we don't get into unnecessary flamewars about putting up
ppts for windows users. :) PDF works everywhere, with the pleasant side
effect of a lot of Windows users beginning to check out our stuff.

Over the years, I have even stopped using ooimpress (or any other
presentation tool) to display slides - I may use an app like that to
create my slides, but eventually export as PDF and that is what I use for
my talks, share on my site, etc.

And pdfs are easy to distribute - just upload somewhere or email, the
person who wishes to see the slides clicks (or runs "evince filename.pdf")
and there you are.

The added advantage is that you can make the slides available off your own
site (in this case linuxchix.org.in) instead of sending traffic elsewhere.
Hopefully, it will cause the visitor to check out the rest of the site as
well.

Of course, sometimes people need the editable slides as well - for that
one can make the source .odp files available for download as well, but you
will find this to be a rare requirement. And in some cases you may not
even *want* the slides to be editable (legal documents, sensitive
slideshows, etc.), in which case you dont make the source available.
Simple.

Atul

--
Atul Chitnis