[IndiChix] [RFC] Introduction to Linuxchix India - presentation slides

Aneesha Govil popcorn09 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 06:48:42 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 8:50 AM, Hassath <hassath at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Feb 6, 2008 8:23 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runa.misc at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> On Feb 6, 2008 10:53 PM, Atul Chitnis <mail at atulchitnis.net> wrote:
>
> > However, I'd strongly suggest some more structure to the talk -
> > "Discussion" is the trap that many sessions like these fall into, and then
> > nothing comes out of it.
>
> I don't think the problem lies with discussion per se. It has a lot to
> do with the skill of the speaker, the specific situation, and the
> style of the individual speaker. Some people can do very well with a
> loosely structured talk.

I think it is good to have an agenda there. Perhaps a list of items
that the speaker shall likely discuss. It helps set the expectation of
the people as to what is coming ahead. It does not necessarily imply
that the talk will have a strict structure to it and would not be
flexible. IMHO, that is the very basic and mandatory requirement.
Generally, what I have seen people do (not necessarily in the FLOSS
world), they put an agenda with approximate duration they would be
discussing a particular item. Usually they give a moment to the
audience to go through it and ask if there is something they would
like to have a greater concentration on than what is already listed.
Of course, this is the case is the speaker is really agile about what
to talk about.

In the present scenario, I think it suffice to have just a list of
topics, sort of like an index.

Regards,
Aneesha
[...]