[IndiChix] LinuxChix @ TechKriti '08 (IIT Kanpur)

Ankita Garg gargankita at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 07:12:07 UTC 2008

Hello folks,

IIT Kanpur is having there tech fest from 14th -17th feb. Am glad to
announce to the group that LinuxChix has been invited to conduct a session
for the women FOSS enthusiasts taking part in the fest. As one of the
organizers, Arun Raghavan (who is on this list) informs me, 750+ women are
expected to attend the fest. This is a significant number....a great
challenge to address them and inspire/motivate them to be a part of the FOSS
movement.

Below is a draft of the abstract for the talk that I have prepared.

LinuxChix.in is the Indian Chapter of LinuxChix, a global community to
support women in Linux and Open Source. LinuxChix.org was started by Deb
Richardson in 1999 to provide a hospitable environment for women wanting to
discuss about Linux and Open Source without the fear of being cornered by
rude responses to their queries prevalent at some technical forums. The
India Chapter was started by Archana, an engineer from Chennai. Since then,
significant effort has been put into establishing the infrastructure of the
group, ie, the wiki, irc channel, mailing list, etc. LinuxChix.in held its
first Birds of Feather (BoF) session at FOSS.in 2007.

LinuxChix.in aims to bring together women around India involved in various
FOSS projects, enhance women participation in FOSS related activities, share
knowledge and increase awareness. Our vision is to promote the usage of FOSS
and to help women in India to identify the avenues for contribution with
various levels of expertise - users, newbies, enthusiasts, subject matter
experts, geeks to various upstream projects. To achieve this vision,
LinuxChix India intends to establish itself as a platform for knowledge
sharing and facilitate women interested in FOSS from around India to talk,
participate at events, volunteer, learn, mentor and help each other.

The talk would focus on the current state of affairs of the group and
strategy for the year and information on how and where you can participate
and contribute.

Most parts have been taken from the wiki. Pl let me know what you think
about it. Also, have I missed out on something? Anything else you think we
should talk about? Pl do let me know at the earliest.

This is an important event for LinuxChix and solicit your help in preparing
the right content for the talk :-)

Regards,
Ankita