[IndiChix] A message for LC-IN

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Fri Feb 1 15:56:13 UTC 2008

Warning: this is a long note.

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Vid Ayer wrote:

> Leadership in the corporate world is way different than how things
> work in the floss world, where its a mix of getting hands dirty and
> DIY  with some (or a lot of) help  from the community. I dont know a
> community where folks (irrespective of gender) issue orders on
> "footask will be done by fooperson" and fooperson obeying the order.
> Doubt if that is gonna work, but that is my zero paise worth.

I havent said anything on this issue so far, but I think it is best that I
do so now, before things get more confusing and complicated:

I have been deeply involved with FOSS community in India and worldwide for
th past 15 years, and I believe that my understanding of its functioning
goes a little deeper than what you have to offer with that statement.

Therefore, I would say that your position on this matter is certainly not
in line with what the community perceives.

For one, in the community, it is perfectly acceptable for someone to say
"this needs to be done, and $named_person could/should do it", especially
if it is not an order but a request/suggestion, put out in a
non-aggressive, non-authoritarian manner, based on due diligence. A
classic example of this is the Linux kernel, where Linus Torvalds is
deemed the benevolent dictator.

The FOSS community is *not* a democracy (despite what is often put out as
a myth) - it is a meritocracy. That means that the person who is actually
doing the work and delivering gets to say how things move along. Or, in
other words, "talk is cheap - show me the code".

In a FOSS software project, this is usually the person contributing the
most, and who has the deepest vision, and the support of the other members
of the group for that vision.

In a FOSS-based *social* project (which LCIN *partially* is), it is the
person who originally provided the vision for this project, and who has
done the most work in not only gathering members who subscribe to that
vision, but who also is qualified enough (by way of FOSS contributions) to
justify that vision, who has the right to be called a leader - as long as
that person clearly demonstrates that the goals of the group are uppermost
in the, and the "leading" of the group is not an end in itself.

The primary difference between a corporate leader and a FoSS leader is
that a corporate leader leads from the front, a FOSS leader leads from
within. A corporate leader *acquires* the right (through money,
inheritance, seniority or other means), while a FOSS leader *earns* the
right to lead, by demonstrating abilities and results of achieving the
projects goals (not by being able to "control" the project).

> I vote for that too. We have a positive response that the main LC is
> willing to provide us with hosting and any technical help that we may
> need. We can use http://in.linuxchix.org , and the current domain can
> be redirected if the owner so desires.  We already have the list and
> irc channel with them so makes more sense to keep things in one place.

While I don't see anything *functionally* objectionable to that, I must
point out something here that many others appear to have also noticed:

Many of these "decisions" are taken without taking other members of this
list/group into confidence, and including them in these
discussions/decisions. Things are being presented in a "faith accomplii"
manner, largely by you, with you being the single interface to LinuxChix
International.

This is also reflected in the manner in which some characteristics of this
group were altered to change the way members are treated. I am, of course,
specifically referring to the "those men" kind of statements, which I not
only found deeply offensive, but completely contrary to the objectives of
this group that I have supported for many years (far longer than
FOSS.IN/2005).

I guess pointing you at this article of mine from 14 years ago will prove
that

http://comversations.com/attic/women-online/

and also the quiet way by which "those men" have been supporting (and not
"controlling") this group. This includes every highlight of this group's
existence, which happened because "those men" too helped them happen, not
*inspite* of their involvement.

All of "those men" on this list support the concept of feminism and
equality for all, but as Swati very aptly put it in her blog entry

http://swatisani.livejournal.com/88818.html

"Feminism is not about superiority over Men. Feminism means Equality of
gender. Men and women are different -but we are equals. Feminism does not
mean that women should have a separate queue, it means standing in the
same queue and fighting it out shoulder to shoulder along with men with
same rights and privileges. Feminism does not mean that women have to
learn authority or beg for it to be given to her."

As a successful business-woman in a so-called "man's world" who has not
only proved herself but has earned all our respect for it, Swati is
probably more qualified to say this and define feminism, given that she is
married, and her husband holds her in the highest regard.

Ditto Pooja and Runa, who both have achieved the goal of equality not by
words and attempts at control, but by action and contribution - both Pooja
and Runa are active and respected developers and contributors, and Swati
has absolute financial control over our "small, regional event" called
FOSS.IN - because she is the most qualified of us all in Team FOSS.IN.

This group that we call LinuxChix India was formed by a collection of
women and men (a fairly equal number, I believe), whose only goal was
*enabling* other women in India to get involved with FOSS and technology.
The goal was never to fix society's flaws or change a perceived patriachal
society into a matriachal one.

I should know, because I fought long and hard to make the "Women in FOSS"
sub-event happen at FOSS.IN/2005 (believe me, there was opposition to this
from some quarters), and attempted to give the group wider visibility at
FOSS.IN/2007 with the SuperBoF.

I admit that that BoF was a failure in many ways, but that was not because
of "those men" or "by taking their pencils away", but more so because the
agenda of the BoF was not clearly defined or followed, and because the
tone went from empowering women to outright militancy, which opened the
door for reactions.

While I cannot speak for LinuxChix International, I can assure you that
*this* group is not about militant feminism, but about men and women
working together as equals to achieve the goals of the group with
reference to FOSS - not society. Not once has there been any "us and them"
- until the "those men" statements started flowing.

Should the nature of this group suddenly change from FOSS empowerment for
women to militant, superior-like, "women power" at the cost of the male
members of this group, then I can assure you that it will lose not just my
support, but that of many other members of this group (and not just the
men).

This is not about changing a "dominating men" situation into a "dominating
women" situation. This is about empowering women with Free and Open Source
Software, taking into account that sometimes, a few special requirements
exist to make this possible.

As long as this is kept clearly in mind, this group will have everyone's
support, and will prosper.

But should it see another round of "those men" statements, and attacks on
members who have been quietly supporting this group, then I believe this
group will fall apart quickly and dramatically, as it almost did last
week.

And I say this not because I am a man trying to dictate terms, but out of
many years of real (not imagined) experience. After all, "experience is
what wise (wo)men call their mistakes".

With this in mind, I believe that an unqualified, no-strings-attached
apology is due to Vaibhav, who was made the clear target of attack in an
attempt to establish a militant character for this group, and accept that
he is an equal member of this group, just like everyone else.

Without such an apology, I believe that there is little chance of any of
"those men" feeling wanted in this group. Similar apologies should ideally
be made to Pooja and Swati, whose actions and words have been twisted and
re-purposed to mean something they certainly did not.

And decisions like "members outside India cannot participate" or "you can
be list admin, and you cannot be" or "a man cannot be in control of a
resource" are not taken by a single person (the way it was done) but by
the group.

Even the reaction to vaibhav's use of the term "catfight" (and the manner
in which he was silenced) was "superior" in nature and has no place in
this group. Just FYI - and for everyone's information - the term catfight
has *nothing* to do with women, and vaibhav's use of the term was entirely
correct, given what was happening here - a dispute carried out with
intense hostility and bitterness. See for yourself:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/catfight

As you can see, neither dictionary even mentions women in their
definition.

And finally, I should make it clear that while we all respect the work of
LinuxChix international, and support most of the objectives, no one here
is going to trade in equality and friendship, just to be able to tag
themselves with the "LinuxChix" name.

Names are easy to create, but names should reflect the objectives of the
group, not the other way round.

In that way, I must point out that both Carla and Sulamita (who happens to
be a good friend of mine, and with whom I had a chat when the war broke
out here - your imagined "complaint to tresChix", which it was NOT) were
correct when they said that each local chapter can and has to decide how
it functions. it is for us to adopt things from other chapters, but
nowhere does it say that we must blidly follow every guideline.

Therefore, let us decide that we will live up to the objectives
of LinuxChix, as stated at http://www.linuxchix.org :

"LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux and Free Software, and
for ***women and men*** who want to support women in computing". (Emphasis
is mine).

Because this is the core objective of this group from the very beginning -
not militant feminism.

And in the three years since this group was formed, there has never been
the need for election/nomination of a leader or appointment of a
controller or for a single person to take decisions. Any decisions related
to this group should take into account the collective inputs and feedback
of this group.

Even the decision to move to the linuxchix server or change the domain
name just because of the desire to be in charge of the public face of the
group is questionable, because it is a violent slap in the face of many
members of this group. it is not like every woman on this list will be
given root access to that server. Only qualified ones, which is the right
way of doing it - and irrespective of gender.

Insisting on moving the server is not just an insult to vaibhav and Pooja,
but to Barkha (who has been competently managing the site) and Runa (who
has been instrumental at kicking off the wiki content), and all the other
people who have been contributing to the site content so far.

I know that this note is far longer than it should be, but I wanted to put
this down once and for all.

Attempting to establish "superiority" by either side over the other, and
creating "us and them" situations, is NOT in the charter of this group.

This is not about control by men or women - this is about re-establishing
that we treat each other as equals and work side by side, using each one's
abilities and resources, towards common goals.

And we bow to no one - within, or outside.

Thank you for listening and more importantly, understanding.

Atul

--
Atul Chitnis
Bangalore, India