[IndiChix] [x-post] LC-india domain

Vid Ayer vid at svaksha.com
Wed Dec 31 07:23:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a relative newcomer myself and have only a third party person's
> understanding of the various political issues that plague LUG
> activities in India.
>
> I think that all issues ought to be thrashed out once and for all,
> that the active people ought to get admin rights, and that notions
> such as "founders are owners" (which is what I sensed was Atul's
> message - please correct me if need be) should be let go of.
>
> There will always be enough muck to rake of one sets one's mind to it.
> Fortunately, most of us have lots of things to keep our minds
> constructively occupied.
>
> There are enough lists and groups that have been started by one group
> and which are today maintained by another group (I'm myself member of
> some such groups in both categories). It has always made sense to hand
> over various rights to those who work actively (and who have a track
> record of doing so).

Absolutely !  Fwiw .... the founder of Indian Linuxchix chapter was
(and will always be) Archana Raghupathy. If interested, check the
July2005 Indichix archives.  Its extremely easy to take credit for
another persons work and sideline them completely. Probably that and
other things  keeps women (and men) away on the local level.

AFAIK, people come and go in any project and whilst leaving, hand over
to the remaining members/volunteers. That is the most polite thing to
do, instead of indulging in personal attacks at someone who is trying
to keep things open and transparent.

> As it is, women are not very active (and this is something I don't
> really understand). Pressurizing women and acting unfair to them is
> not going to help at all.

IME, a woman (and maybe some men too) have to be thick-skinned to
tolerate bullying, name calling, intimidation, online stalking and
personal attacks, usually indulged in by a very small subset of highly
vocal individual(s). Over the years I have experienced this negativity
and learnt to ignore it while moving ahead with the positive support
and attitude shown by a silent majority.... Thanks (you know who you
are) !!

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com || Dreams are not what you see in your
sleep, but dreams are that, which do not allow you to sleep ~
Dr.APJKalam ||