[IndiChix] [x-post] LC-india domain

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 18:45:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think it makes sense to split this list into two, indichix and
> indichix-admin (or something like that) so that people who are more
> interested in the content of the lists/sites as opposed to the politics
> can get a better signal/noise ratio?

I'm a relative newcomer myself and have only a third party person's
understanding of the various political issues that plague LUG
activities in India.

I think that all issues ought to be thrashed out once and for all,
that the active people ought to get admin rights, and that notions
such as "founders are owners" (which is what I sensed was Atul's
message - please correct me if need be) should be let go of. There
will always be enough muck to rake of one sets one's mind to it.
Fortunately, most of us have lots of things to keep our minds
constructively occupied.

There are enough lists and groups that have been started by one group
and which are today maintained by another group (I'm myself member of
some such groups in both categories). It has always made sense to hand
over various rights to those who work actively (and who have a track
record of doing so).

As it is, women are not very active (and this is something I don't
really understand). Pressurizing women and acting unfair to them is
not going to help at all.

My vote would be to thrash out all issues once and for all, and to
then just move on. This is based my observations of the Bangalore
OpenSolaris User Group where we call a spade a spade, and things are
resolved.

-- Sriram