[IndiChix] meetup @ blr

Vid_A vid at svaksha.com
Tue Aug 26 11:03:35 UTC 2008

hi,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:26, Tania Pérez Bustos <tpbustos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I had the opportunity to accompany Vid yesterday in the Blore meeting at
> DeepRoot and I have to say I believe it was a very interesting meeting. From
> what I saw Abhas is very much interested on supporting the LC-labs project.
> Great job Vid!

Actually he made it easy with a simple 'yes', no questions asked
attitude about LC. Saved me from having to explain or get validation,
so real credit should go to Abhas for agreeing to sponsor the space,
mentoring, help, etc...

> Though I went to the meeting mainly as an observant, I wanted to share with
> the list what I found was an important input to the project: the idea of
> setting up labs not only as technical learning environments, but as project
> learning environments in which women (and men, Vid, please react/correct me
> if this was not a point agreed or discussed with Abhas) can contribute to
> the development of social projects which would be  enhanced by the use of
> free software. The advantage is that that contribution becomes itself a way
> of learning about FLOSS for those who are joining the labs. It is a two way
> process!!! It is a colaborative learning environment, set up not just for
> the sake to participate in the FLOSS community, but to doing it so, as a way
> to help others, to enhance community building around FLOSS, a community that
> goes beyond expert users. WOW! sorry, I really think is a great idea and I
> believe it completely fits into LC philosophy.

oh wow, thanks for summing it all up so eloquently (and saving me the
task of writing the minutes ;-)) so can i quote you on my blog ?

An important part of a learning process for me is by observing or
talking to someone who already knows more. Reminded  me of Antano's
talk at mukt.in, where he mentioned how children learn -- by emulating
; much easier to learn with friends, asking questions than just poring
over documentation.

> Besides DeepRoot has already a network of nonprofit organisations that would
> work as a starting point for this
> (http://www.deeproot.co.in/deepofix/users).

yes, its amazing to see their commitment to libre software and the
work they do to keep the libre spirit alive :)

They can be contacted at : http://www.deeproot.co.in/about/contact ;
as a matter of courtesy if you plan to drop by do call or mail them in
advance.

> Unfortunately I could not stay till the end of the meeting, perhaps I could
> say something more if I would have ... but anyway, I hope in the other
> cities this labs are opening up great opportunities for you girls to develop
> new understandings and possibilities of what LC is about in India, just like
> I felt it started to happened yesterday at DeepRoot.

With Pune and Mumbai, we have 3 metros cities covered and with time
folks will take advantage of the opportunity to create something
exciting.

> I am looking forward to see these networks developing.

Me too :)

And thanks for joining us Tania :-)

--
Vid