[IndiChix] Libre Labs for women

Vid A vid at svaksha.com
Mon Aug 4 11:31:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

A few weeks ago I had asked : Is there any IT firm in India willing to
host Free Software Labs just for women ? [1]

#1. Requirements :
------------------------
1.1 Libre computer labs equipped with machines and an Internet connection.
1.2 Centrally located within city limits.

#2. Goals :
--------------
2.1 These labs ensure a static space so women dont have to travel far
or to lonely places for local meets.
2.2  It would enable local FSF/GNU volunteers to introduce and teach
them packaging, translation, bug-squashing, etc...
2.3  Increase contribution to upstream projects like Debian, Ubuntu,
Fedora, Gentoo, Suse, KDE, Gnome, etc...

#3. Do's and Dont's :
-------------------------
3.1 Not meant to be used for personal use (downloading movies/songs,
chatting, etc...)
3.2 Currently restricted to women participants.

#4. Managing and growing the Idea :
Managing and decision making (how many days a week, who will talk,
what talks, etc....) is left entirely to the women volunteers in the
city.

4.1 Mumbai :  Although I had started out looking for space in
Bangalore, I have an interesting proposal from an MNC in Mumbai who
are willing to lend space, infrastructure etc). BUT at this point, I
would like to know if chix in Mumbai are willing to take this further.
I would not be able to do that from another city and neither am I
interested in micro-managing things. I would prefer if local chix too
initiative in this regard. So is anyone up to the challenge ?

4.2 Bangalore : Currently, machines are available but space is a
challenge. At Mukt.in a few alternatives were suggested so let me see
how things pan out.

4.3 Delhi : Not much except I found a committed volunteer (again at
mukt.in) who is willing to help out with this. Any Delhi-chix
interested ?

4.4 Other cities: Please reply to the list if you want a similar lab
in your city.

The whole idea is centered around sharing and learning together. With
a systematic effort we may reduce and hopefully eliminate the "how do
I start" which is the common question every newcomer has.  That said,
this needs your co-operation and depends entirely on your interest
levels.

So I hope we pull this off as a team !!

Do add your thoughts /suggestions to improve it.

[1] http://www.svaksha.com/post/2008/linuxchix-india-in-the-news

Thanks,

--
Vid