[IndiChix] [RFC] Group Introduction message

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 16:23:56 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 6:17 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runa.misc at gmail.com> wrote:
> ABOUT
> =====
>
> LinuxChix India is the Indian Chapter of LinuxChix. It aims to bring
> together women around India involved in various FOSS projects, foster
> participation and share knowledge.
>
> Men are also welcome to join LinuxChix India and support the group.
>
> GOAL
> ====
>
> Our vision is to promote the usage of FOSS and to help women in India to
> identify the avenues for contribution with various levels of expertise -

to be specific : foster contribution to upstream projects like Gnome,
Kde, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, ....etc..

> users, newbies, enthusiasts, subject matter experts, geeks. To achieve
> this vision, LinuxChix India intends to establish itself as a platform
> for knowledge sharing and facilitate women interested in FOSS  from
> around India to talk, participate at events, volunteer, learn, mentor
> and help each other.

Yup, we do need to stress on the "giving back" aspect a lot more. How
to contribute? That would be for each of us here to work on,
individually and as a group.

> participate in the City Meets.

For Blr, I was thinking about having a fixed day of the month or a
bi-weekly Saturday meet-up. Say the first saturday of each month, or
every alternate Saturday/Sunday(? didnt suggest it as most folks i
know like to spend that day on themselves/family). This way we ensure
a meeting occurs , maybe with less people but it reduces the asking
around each time. Have any folks tried it and how did it work out?
Thoughts?

-Vid